XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

You're not fooling me with that one. That's the box art for the 1979 re-pop of the old 1/48 Monogram Groundhog released to coincide with the re-make of the classic Japanese monster movie G'hogzilla.

The old Monogram kit was pretty neat and quite well detailed for its day. It even included extra parts so you could model your groundhog with the Silverplate modifications for the nuclear mission.

Interesting factoid: had the U.S. Boeing Super-Groundhog failed, consideration was being given to use British Avro Groundhogs instead. There's some debate about whether the British groundhogs had the range or altitude to actually complete the nuclear drop successfully, although the former problem could have been overcome using air-to-air nutsack replenishment which was a proven technology as early as 1935.

[QUOTE="buffnut453, post: 1598502, member: 11447"

Interesting factoid: had the U.S. Boeing Super-Groundhog failed, consideration was being given to use British Avro Groundhogs instead. There's some debate about whether the British groundhogs had the range or altitude to actually complete the nuclear drop successfully, although the former problem could have been overcome using air-to-air nutsack replenishment which was a proven technology as early as 1935.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but what about the COG issues? o_O

Interesting factoid: had the U.S. Boeing Super-Groundhog failed, consideration was being given to use British Avro Groundhogs instead. There's some debate about whether the British groundhogs had the range or altitude to actually complete the nuclear drop successfully, although the former problem could have been overcome using air-to-air nutsack replenishment which was a proven technology as early as 1935.

Yes, but what about the COG issues? o_O[/QUOTE]

I think they fixed those...but I can't remember if they moved the radio forward, removed the IFF, futzed around with the nose armour, or swapped out the cannon for 50 cals. Regardless, the changes resulted in a massive increase in rate of climb.

Yes, but what about the COG issues? o_O[/QUOTE]
Someone must have a spreadsheet here.

Here you go

Attachments

• 3EF96947-7708-4C90-BEB2-AD6A1C160FEF.jpeg
    3EF96947-7708-4C90-BEB2-AD6A1C160FEF.jpeg
    987.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 0A9F8358-BE7D-46F2-B44E-B76B96CA22E6.jpeg
    0A9F8358-BE7D-46F2-B44E-B76B96CA22E6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
Here is a P-40 with twin Allisons:

p40-twin-jpg.jpg

Maybe they could do that with a P-39 and change the CG issues.

But what O what could you ever do about the VISIBILITY from the cockpit? The enemy can sneak up on this thing from ANYWHERE except directly in front of the nose or straight above the cockpit, and he can sneak up from in front if he is at lower altitude. The pilot has a GREAT view of cowlings and exhausts. I bet he was deaf in one flight!

In hindsight, it makes you wonder why this was ever attempted. Perhaps some crew chief lost a bet or ir was a commie plot of some sort. We should have supplied these to Germany free of charge. Send German pilot prisoners home in one ...

Last edited:
In case anyone is wondering about that "modified" P-40C, it's real.
From Joe Baugher:
"41-13456 - modified in 1942 to become a mock-up of an undesignated twin-engined fighter. W/o 18 Feb 1943 at Craig Field, AL; Condemned Feb 27, 1943."

You're not fooling me with that one. That's the box art for the 1979 re-pop of the old 1/48 Monogram Groundhog released to coincide with the re-make of the classic Japanese monster movie G'hogzilla.

The old Monogram kit was pretty neat and quite well detailed for its day. It even included extra parts so you could model your groundhog with the Silverplate modifications for the nuclear mission.

NOW who's trying to hide their Groundhog envy?

Nice try but it doesn't wash, we all know the box art was taken from the real photo of Groundhog Boeing 44-5499's historic August 1945 mission, no nutsack replenishment needed. Also no thinking person that had authority was seriously considering the Avro Groundhog, it's a myth.

As a side note, I tried to build the 1/48 Monogram kit as a younger me, but my cat had romantic "tendencies" towards it so I had to cease and desist the build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back