Yahoo!!!! Sentimental Journey!! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Camarogenius

Airman
Dec 2, 2005
The B-17 called Sentimental Journey Landed at our local airport yesterday, and will be on display until Monday!!!!!
I'm going to be spending all day saturday looking at her!!!!
I Promise to take a gazillion pictures!!
Post up any specific picture requests, and I'll make a list.
I know I'm getting overly excited, But much as I love WWII Aircraft, I haven't seen a real live B-17 since 1975, when I was 4 1/2 years old, and since everyone here agrees that the B-17 is the absolute finest Bomber of WWII, I'm just about to explode with enthusiasm!!!!!!

Yes I can. Look, I have a ton of respect for the Lancaster and the men that flew it, and the Mosquito was a fine plane as well. The B-29 got the big headlines in the closing days of the war, mainly because of two bombs.
While the B-29 shortened the war in the Pacific, the Japs were already beaten by the navy and the Army and Marines on the ground via the "Island Hopping campaigns".
In my opinion, the B-17, Daylight bombing and the Norton Bomb sight broke the backs of the Nazis.
Keep in mind, I'm not taking anything away from the Men on the beaches on D-Day, or anyone else. The victory in WWII was a group effort. Everyone did their best, even the french, much as I despise them.
However in the world of bombers, the B-17 stands head and shoulders above the rest.
If you know of a bomber that out performed the B-17, I'm listening........

Camarogenius said:
Yes I can. Look, I have a ton of respect for the Lancaster and the men that flew it, and the Mosquito was a fine plane as well. The B-29 got the big headlines in the closing days of the war, mainly because of two bombs.
While the B-29 shortened the war in the Pacific, the Japs were already beaten by the navy and the Army and Marines on the ground via the "Island Hopping campaigns".
In my opinion, the B-17, Daylight bombing and the Norton Bomb sight broke the backs of the Nazis.
Keep in mind, I'm not taking anything away from the Men on the beaches on D-Day, or anyone else. The victory in WWII was a group effort. Everyone did their best, even the french, much as I despise them.
However in the world of bombers, the B-17 stands head and shoulders above the rest.
If you know of a bomber that out performed the B-17, I'm listening........

The B-29 - PERIOD!

It was the best bomber of the war as far as performance and technical achievement, basically it was a generation a head of any 4 engine bomber put in the air during WW2.

And when the B-29 started bombing mainland Japan, the Japanese were far from beaten or better yet, admitting defeat....

What looks better......a B17 in olive drab camo............. or in no paint and nothing but shiney aluminum.

I like the no paint versions myself. Its sort of like an "in your face" attitude to the Luftwaffe.

MM, I normally crack up around the 'finest' part of that sentence. I could name three bombers in World War II that out-performed the B-17. The B-24, Lancaster and B-29 all out-performed the B-17. That's no discredit to the Flying Fortress and it's crews, but the other bombers were better. They could all carry more, further and faster.

FLYBOYJ said:
The B-29 - PERIOD!

It was the best bomber of the war as far as performance and technical achievement, basically it was a generation a head of any 4 engine bomber put in the air during WW2.

And when the B-29 started bombing mainland Japan, the Japanese were far from beaten or better yet, admitting defeat....
I Look at the B-29 like a relief pitcher in Baseball.
The B-17 slugged it out for the first 8 innings, Then in the top of the 9th, the B-29 takes the mound, and walks away with the win.
Again, I'm just voicing my opinions here. Opinions. Everyone has one, and all of them stink.
One thing the B-17 has Over the 29 is Looks, Hands Down!!!!
THe B-17 has Character and personality. The B-29 looks like a flying chrome dil- nevermind, there's kids on here.

The B-29 was still better. And the B-24 slugged it along with the B-17, infact the B-24 carried more of the war in it's bomb bay to Germany and Japan than the B-17 did. And the Lancaster was a superior bomber also.

Camarogenius said:
I Look at the B-29 like a relief pitcher in Baseball.
The B-17 slugged it out for the first 8 innings, Then in the top of the 9th, the B-29 takes the mound, and walks away with the win.
Again, I'm just voicing my opinions here. Opinions. Everyone has one, and all of them stink.
One thing the B-17 has Over the 29 is Looks, Hands Down!!!!
THe B-17 has Character and personality. The B-29 looks like a flying chrome dil- nevermind, there's kids on here.
The B-29 looked like it was built for speed and altitude. The B-17 has it's own beauty but looks like it's made to get shot at! While it came later in the war it's mission could not of been performed by either the B-17 or B-24 and I'm not even talking about the atomic bomb. Bottom line the B-29 was the best bomber of WW2. The Lancaster is a distant second...

B17's were withdrawn from service from the PTO because the high altitude performance was irrelevant and range/payload was the most important.

The B29 didnt come in the "9th" inning to clean up, because there were NO allied bombers attacking Japan when it started its first missions from China.

and the Norden bomb sight you hold in such high regard is the accuracy equivilent of the British Mk.XIV Computing bombsight, and the lancaster is a far, far superior bomber to the B-17, as has been proven many times over to numerous n00bs, i'll let others fight the B-29's corner although she pretty much fights fer herself.........

Lanc said, "After we've joined forces to beat off the noob ..."

This is a family forum Lanc. Your excited, wishful thinking is best kept to yourself.

The only reason you're in love with the Lancaster is because it could take a Tall Boy way up deep. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back