Yokosuka D4Y2-S night fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

maxs75

Airman 1st Class
May 2, 2005
Hi,
I'm looking for a picture of Yokosuka D4Y2-S night fighter.
It had a 20 mm gun firing upward in the gunner position.

Thanks
Max

Thanks.
I'm not sure at all, but wasn't it supposed to have an upward firing 20 mm gun? The russian web site says 2 20mm and 2 7.7 mm.

Max

Is the Russian website the only source for that info? It's always a good idea to get at least another source for that kind of info. The web link I sent has a pretty good amount of Japanese aircraft pics and I have not been able to find something that they did not have a photo of. That being said, it could be one of those that very few know about or even a test aircraft design, etc. But a secondary source for the info on the upward firing guns might me a good idea.

No, on the contrary, from what I understand from that page, it seems that no weapon was upward firing. I don't remember where I read about the gun. I was looking for a photo to confirm the mounting.

Max

I have three references on the D4y. All three mention limited use as a nightfighter, one goes into a little more detail mentioning 2 x 20 mounted behind the pilot firing at an oblique angle but I am afraid no picture. It does say however that only a small number were used and that they were all inline (Aichi Atsuta 32) powered versions.

Don't know how much that helps

Thanks Glider,
It's helpful, I wasn't yet sure if it was used as night fighter operationally.

Max

Thanks Glider,
It's helpful, I wasn't yet sure if it was used as night fighter operationally.

Max

Records of the 210 ku based at Meiji indicated that they had 5 D4Y2-S "Suisei Nightfighter" on strength. These aircraft were involved in interception of B-29 raids in 1944. However, it would appear that the missions were flown during the day (e.g. ~3PM Feb 10, 1944).

–¾Ž¡Šî'n'ÆB29籌'í

Some additional photos of models:

Maxs75 the night fighter version was also used by the 302Ku as shown on the box art.

Will a photo showing the actual victory markings suffice?

I have additional photo's that show the Judy carried a single upward firing 20mm cannon. Will post a couple of shots on the weekend if I can get my scanner woking again.

Attachments

• D4Y Judy ED-228 Tail with victories.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 744
Maxs75, don't know if you're still looking but here are some shots of the cannon armed Judy.

The first is Yo-154, the 'Yo' represents the Yokosuka Naval air group which is rendered as a backwards E.

The second aircraft is from the 302 NAG code unknown.

Attachments

• Yo-154.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 388
  • D4Y2-S Judy YoD.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 588

Users who are viewing this thread