Your favorite post-war aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My favourite post-war aircraft include:

AH-64D Apache Longbow- Yes a helicopter, top of the list.
B-36 Peacemaker- Awesome power for a bomber around the end of WW2.
Spitfire- The later 1950s re-engineering of this famous aircraft.
P-51 Mustang- The aircraft that really helped take the war to the German
heart-land.
B-52 Awesome adaptability in terms of roles.
B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber- Useful for early missions in taking enemy radar
installations and air defenses out relatively
safely, so that more 'normal' aircraft can carry
out their missions safely.
F-117 Nighthawk Stealth Fighter- Useful for same reasons as B-2.
ACH-47 Chinook- Armed gunship version of famous transport helicopter.
Mig-25 Fulcrum- Awesome adaptable Soviet front-line fighter.
Foxbat- A fast Mach 3 recon aircraft.
SR-71 Blackbird- A fast recon aircraft that is only just being retired.
U-2- A large single engined plane- largest single-engined plane ever built.

That should really be F-51, if it's post-war. I've never known CH-47s to have seperate designations for gunship, although I imagine the US might have.
In the RAF, they just knock a few windows out and put rotary cannons through them. And then fit a big ass machine gun to the rear ramp, which my dad was on when ever flying in the Chinook in the Falklands.

The A designates an Attack, therefore the designation for the Apache Longbow is AH-64D. Now because the Chinooks have been modified for an attack role they have the A appended in the US speak to denote this, therefore the correct designation for the Chinook Helicopter Gunship is ACH-47 Chinook. It's a US designation, look in the schematics thread somewhere to find the illustration I posted of it. The British design you are talking about wouldn't have a separate designation. Just adding a few guns on the side doesn't make an ACH-47 Chinook. These helicopters carry a large amount of attack stores, including mortars, missiles, plus the ordinary guns. They are quite different from an ordinary CH-47 Chinook used to airlift troops and supplies, even if the CH-47 Chinook in question has some added guns. By the way you are right, it should be F-51 for the Mustang. Hope this answers your querry about the gunship Chinook.

GOTTA GO WITH THE F-86 AND THE "RHINO" F-4 - WORLD'S LARGEST DISTRIBUTORS OF USED MIG PARTS!

Attachments

• joe_on_ladder_201.jpg
    joe_on_ladder_201.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 641
I love the Phantom too. It just looks like an attitude problem with wings attached! :lol: When I play Strike Fighters Gold, I always go for the Rhino (usually the RN version). Its the ultimate MiG-killing tool!

Love the RN version, which I feel is one of the best F-4s made with the Spey engines, although the Israelis did lots of "hodrodding" to the Phantom as well!

Hey, I gotta show off today, attached is a clip of one of my finest hours, my first F-4 ride. We went out for 1.5 hours, I got to fly most of the FCF profile, went Mach 1.3 (about 1000 mph) and just had a blast! We did rolls, loops, clover leaves, and rudder rolls, where you could roll this aircraft by using the rudder alone!

That night my buddies "soaked" me down got me very drunk and made me "howl at the moon" like Chuck Yeager did in "he Right Stuff."

I've held a pilots license for over 10 years now and I would have to say this was my "crown moment!"

Attachments

• joef4_171.jpg
    joef4_171.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 531
Well, lets give it about 5 or 6 years, when im about 21 and in a stable job/relationship and ill be right over to America. The prospect of a VIP tour around the museum evan volunteers at and also flying lessons is mighty tempting!

That'd be a hoot, FBJ! I got to take 2 check rides in F-111s when I was at Lakenheath and that was fun! I wish I had been able to take pictures. But photos were verboten on the flightline in those days.

evangilder said:
That'd be a hoot, FBJ! I got to take 2 check rides in F-111s when I was at Lakenheath and that was fun! I wish I had been able to take pictures. But photos were verboten on the flightline in those days.

Thanks Evan! My father-in-law (you always hear me talk about him) said the F-111 was one of the fastest aircraft he ever flew. He felt that if it was made of titanium, it probably could of gone Mach 3! :shock:

Yep, Pops got scolded a few times from the squadron's maintenance officer for eroding several radomes. Flew so fast and got them so hot they just about fell off the aircraft!

Sometimes we had gusy come back frm TFR missions that had tree branches sticking out of the intakes. No shit! One hell of a plane, if you could get it off the ground without an IFE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back