Your favorite type of A/C piston engine? (1 Viewer)

Your favorite type of aircraft piston engine (for WWII)

  • Radial

    Votes: 20 50.0%
  • Vee

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Inverted Vee

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • H engine (Sabre, for instance)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Coupled Inverted Vee, as found on He 177

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

    Votes: 1 2.5%

  • Total voters
    40

Oreo

Senior Airman
347
2
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Location
South Carolina
We're talking about for WWII combat types, not types you'd see in great numbers at the airports today-- or in the air in WWI, for that matter.
 
Radial or Vee, that is the question. I know radials have their pros, but vees have them too. I personaly like the streamline posbilities that vees gave to aeronautic design, contrary to de bulky radial engines. I must say the Napier Sabre H24 engine was quite radical and massive...

Here is a rare bug... the caproni-campini n.1, a piston engine without props.
Caproni Campini N.1 (CC.2) - research aircraft
 
radial was the most used and the most reliable engine, but its a very hard question, since war is not only speed(ill prefer the v´s then), but is also reliabilty, endurance, comsuption, resistance against enemy fire...etc and theres also many manufacturers and many diferent qualities of work.

flyboy, do have a vw beetle anytime ? you can cross sahara with those stuffs ! :lol:

type82_01.jpg


1969vwengine.jpg


oposed too !
 
Like on the O-200 or IO-540.

O-200b.jpg

I went with the inverted-vee, because a DB603 (actually, two of them) power MY favorite aircraft (see my signature for a clue!).

However, a couple of Continental O-360's got me around for a while (any guesses, FLYBOYJ?), so I like "boxer" engines, also.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back