Airframes

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About Post areas

• Hey i like the paint job on your planes, very nice. Especially the harrier . Thanks for your help and advise btw.
    Thanks Terry - yes I have that book; I also know from experience not to trust other people's artwork !

Gary
    Hi Gary,
    there are actually few clear photos of this Squadron's aircraft during the BoB which show the codes etc. I've looked through some of my books, without much luck, but found a profile on my computer, which is the best I can find so far. This is showing George Barclay's GN-C, serial number P3870, and is on page 63 of the Osprey 'Hurricane Aces' book.
    The codes, although not unusual, were larger than 'standard', and on some aircraft, infringed on the roundel.
    Sorry i can't help further.
    Cheers,
    Terry.
    Hi Rob,
    The Air Ministry specification laid down that the Squadron codes, example 'RN', be displayed in front of the roundel on both sides of the fuselage. This means the codes reading correctly on the port side, example RN * F, and in reverse on the starboard side, example F * RN. Reason for this was the 'standard' position of the fuselage roundel, set a specific distance, which was ruled by the aircraft type, size, shape etc.
    The codes were normally applied on the Squadron; in most cases, the 'rule' was followed but, as in all things, there were exceptions, and some squadrons applied the codes in the same order on both sides of the fuselage.( there is at least one squadron who got it wrong totally, by applying the individual code letter in front of the roundel on the port side and starboard side!)
    Bottom line - check references for a specific aircraft, or squadron practice, before committing paint/decal to model!
    Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Terry.
    G'day Terry,
    Given that you have been here a while, I hope that you will be able to answer a question for me.
    Why did some allied figjhters have the squadron code reversed on the right and others did not ?
    I am in the process of detailing my RC Hurricane in RAF 601 SQN markings, and I have applied the SQN code in reverse on the right.
    A 601 SQN Association chap asked me why. I did because the majority of images seem to show the code 'reversed' on the right although some haven't.

If you know, then I would greatly appreciate your advice.
    Rob
    Hi Terry,Chris and I have a R.A.F second world war pilots uniform on a mannekin and wondered where on the site i could advertise this as its something we don't have the room for or want anymore,any ideas as i don't want to break any rules on the site,

cheers bob
    Hi Steve,
    I think I know the photo you mean, but haven't got it handy as i write. The markings are for JG53, which were based on the Channel islands for a time for some operations. All aircraft would carry similar markings, although each would have it's individual Staffel (Squadron) number in the relevant colour, and those from the Stab (Staff) of each Staffel or Gruppe(Wing) would carry the geometric symbols designating the pilots role, for example Adjutant, Technical Officer etc.
    Hope this helps.
    Terry.
    Hello "airframes", please forgive this unsolicited approach but I have been looking up information on the Luftwaffe in the Channel Islands and happened upon the ww2aircraft.net website during internet searches. I have managed to find a German propaganda image of an Me 109 being refuelled at Guernsey airport circa 1940 and the markings on this aircraft are identical to those on the crashed Meyersflog Me109 that someone forwarded to you for help with constructing a diorama. I am showing my ignorance here, but are the markings on these aircraft individual or would all members of a particular squadron have the same markings? yours sincerely, steve. jersey. channel islands.
    Thank you sir. Gland to know I didn't do to bad. I also purchased a Tamiya 1/48 A6M5 to. I had a Amazon gift card and well you know.:lol: Thank you again sir.
    Hey Terry, I just have a quick question. How are the Airfix kits quality wise? I just ordered two so I hope there at least decent.:lol:
    Cheers Terry. The ICM bf109F-4 kit I have has 3 Aces schemes to choose from, will start a thread when I can get some box shots of it.
    Hi Terry, I've been looking in the latest Group Build and can't find any dates, when does it end? If it's running for another while I might enter a build, got a nice ICM desert 109 kit in the post the other day!
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back