1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Glenn, she's coming along.

I may be going to take yet another "side project" detour next week now, to build the two map boxes, Ross' Mk V and mine.
All the hinges and clasps have now arrived as well as my proper 3/32 round head rivets.

The end of the weekend. A job today that had been annoying me for a while....realigning the radiator shutter lever.

After a couple of cuts and rearrangement in the spring mechanism at the bottom, the lever could be turned without jamming the spigot that engages the locking grooves in the guide at the six individual positions between "Closed / Guns Warming" and "Fully Open". Once that was organised, it was just a matter of rotating the lever until the centre line of the button was offset 1.8" from the center line at the bottom. This ensures that the lever follows a more natural course in the pilot's hand as he moves it forward and back...a VERY surprising bit of ergonomics given the Spitfire's notoriously "English Engineered" cockpit in other areas! I can't think of another reason it would be offset though?

Anyway, the plan, the two views, the old button and the new, properly rounded at the top but slab-sided button.

Clipboard01.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg
IMG_2522.jpg
IMG_2300.jpg
IMG_2525.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Hugh, VB and Andy and Terry.

You would think so Andy, on first look, but the view is from the front and the lever is on your left, between the seat and the wall. The offset actually moves the top of the lever closer to the sidewall and the throttle unit.

Oh well, the day I understand 1930's British engineering is the day they will give me a nice white jacket and rubber wallpaper!

Terry, I really hope so! I want people to look at the pictures and REALLY have to wonder if it is an actual Spitfire..

Andy, I like THAT line. I'm going to use it.... 50c royalties per time OK? :)

(Oh, I haven't forgotten the rudder pedals, I just haven't been able to get a commitment from them as they have a large job on...I haven't even received my stuff yet! But I am sure it will be along)

Cheers Andy!

A nice little pickup the other day...a correct to period Mk II Height and Airspeed Computor. I also have a Mk I but that isn't strictly correct for September/October '40. It will need a "kid gloves" clean and probably new black fill in the engraving...plus I will have to make the holder (last picture, the unit in the holder mounted in P9374). My guess is to spin the backplate and form the clips etc over a hardwood former...but we will see.

24059174_379394652482284_113887760319857866_n.jpg
24129812_379394812482268_927722386776334101_n.jpg
SpitfireMK1cockpitbroad.jpg~original.jpg

I also managed to secure a Mk I which is in beautiful condition!

s-l1s600.jpg

s-l160x0.jpg

s-l160xsa0.jpg

s-l1dsa600.jpg

Great finds there Darryl. Can you describe the function of this device? Is it for making corrections to the instrument readings?

Darryl, I'm sure that people will assume that it's real !!
The pieces you have achieved are worthy of a museum,and those you have created yourself are impressive.
I´ts a beautifull work so far.

Saludos :thumbup:

Marvelous finds, and something I wasn't aware of. I'll make a point of adding one to my next Spitfire model builds.
Like Andy, I'd be interested to learn of it's purpose and use - I'm guessing it calculated speed over ground compared to IAS at given altitude ?

Thank you Andy, Geo, Luis and Terry!

Luis, I'm flattered, I just hope i can keep it up all the way through.

Ok, the function of the computor:

You set the QFE (barometric pressure on the ground .. as at takeoff) by moving the side cage bottom right.
Then rotate the temperature tab on the left top to the current outside air temperature.
Next, top disk rotates until the height shown on the altimetre is opposite the "I" (right hand pointer at the top, corroded)
Now you can read off the corrected height "C" pointer.

You can also set the IAS the bottom "I" pointer and read off the corrected airspeed.
You now have a Calibrated Airspeed and Height to calculate your ground speed!

3814340.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back