1/144 Ju-87 Stuka 'After the battle' diorama - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great pics and profiles Paul. There was some discussion recently aboy JU87D/5/7, and I believe Eric revelaed that there wasn't a D7, but that it was an erroneous identification for the D5, fotted with the flame damping exhausts for night use. I might be wrong on some of the details though.
I think the barn roof is definitely wooden, as it's typical of barns in the region. Looking at its style and condition, it was probably built many years before the picture was taken, maybe even 50 years or more, so unlikely to be corrugated iron or tiles. Wooden planked, and wooden 'pan tile' or shingle roofs were, and still are, very common in the whole region.

Here another one shot of the Ju87 I have found somewhere in the net.

Attachments

• Ju87D.jpg
    Ju87D.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 287
Wow !! A lot of pics and usefull informations Thanks to all !!

Thanks fot the pic Wojtek ;)

vikingBerserker, I´m with the same question....

Terry, I´m with you, the barn are all wood, I´ll do it with some balsa wood strips and liteply. Here in Brazil, we use only metal and ceramics tiles to roofs, about these kind of roof, what is the medium size of these type of planked tiles ??

I guess that our research is over !

A friend of mine send-me these profile, it is of exactly these plane of the pic !!

Accordint of the book, the "waves" is on RLM 79, and waht about the other colors ?? Some suggestions ?

Thanks to all !

Cheers,

Lucas

The pic is from the book : Junkers Ju 87 Stuka / Michulec, R. Willis, M. / Mushroom Model Publications

Attachments

• Stuka03.jpg
    Stuka03.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
According to a few books about Stukas the standard camo scheme consisted of RLM70 / RLM71 / RML65. Then the "waves" of RLM79 were added.Also I have found that these "waves" were painted with RLM76 as well.Looking at these all pics I've got the impression that the Ju87D was on upper surfaces quite light.Comparing the light mottling to the underside colour I noticed that the difference between them both is quite small.So it is possible the Ju87D was mottled with the RLM76.
In addition, the yellow painted quarter of the spinner in the last profile here might be incorrect.I think it should be white paint.The undersides seem to be painted with the RLM76 but not with RLM65.However taking the small difference between upper light mottling and the underside colour into consideration it could be said it was the same paint.

I go with you Wurger, there are no markings underside the wing, so it is possilbe that it could be painted.

I do with the RLM 70 and 71 to camo, and 76 to undersides and waves.

I think that the quarter on spinner is withe too, so will do like this.

Now, hands on work :D :D

Thanks to all information !

Good luck Lucas, I'm looking foprward to seeing this one! I don't think there was any standard size for the wooden 'tiles' on the roof of the barn. I'd guess they'd be about 2 feet x 2 feet, (50 x 50 cm), maybe a bit bigger, with a curved bottom edge, or a straight edge with rounded-off corners. That's the style I've seen before on such buildings.

Sorry if I'm a little late to the party, but:

The D-7 designation was an incorrect designation for a D-3.
The D-8 designation was an incorrect designation for a D-5.

The discussion Terry was referring to was one brought up about one of my MTO builds.

About the barn...Terry is right in saying that most buildings in the region are of wood, and many atleast 50 years old at time of the photos...many are still standing even now another 65 years on..BUT, I think this roof may be of sheet or fine corrugated iron... look at the complete section that has come off the near side in the pic Wojtek posted above, and especially the end of the panel next to it: it looks thin and is curved up in the middle the way a sheet of roofing iron does when not nailed down.

The very light construction of the roof beams might support this hunch too, as (IMO) they would need to be stronger and much more frequent if they had to suport wooden planks (they'd never survive the heavy snowfalls there for one thing...it can sit 20 cm thick on the rooves quite often.)

Just my opinion...

Great project too, Lucas! :D

I'm just going to throw this out their....Did they use "tar paper" on roofs in Austria? It would not have been uncommon to find roofs covered in this material elsewhere...

Do you mean 'Eternit' ? If so, that was invented in Austria actually - I met the man who invented it. (A friend of mine used to work as a cleaner in his house in Vienna.)

I think you might be right about the 'wrinkly tin' Evan. I've just checked the larger pic Wojtek posted. the roof section on the far right, immediate front, where it is just overhanging the eaves, does appear to have a corrugated form. I hadn't noticed this before, as I was looking at the pattern further down the centre of the roof, which looked like those wooden 'tiles' I'm sure you're familar with in central Europe. That could just be the lighting, or maybe the roof has a mixture of both, with corrugated iron used in repairs? Anyway, either surface would su8ffice for Lucas's diorama I would think.
If it is corrugated iron, most I've seen in the region have been painted a dull orange colour, virtually a rust red/orange - that is if they hadn't actually rusted to that colour!

Great informations Terry and Evan, thanks

To make the corrugated metal on this tiny scale, is only to Jedis :D

I don´t know how it could be made. I´m thinking in use some little parts of 1/64 plywood (0,3mm) to make the "tiles" of the roof.

Or made an mix of both if I can find some stuff that can be used like the metal corrugated.

I find a lot of pics that I imagine could help-me, on roof colors.

Barn+roof.jpg

BarnArt-721316.gif

rust-roof-red-barn-copyright-by-anna-surface.jpg

BARN2_1325.JPG

Weathered-Barn-Siding_45383_3.jpg

Barn.jpg

bmsteinbergerBarn%2702.jpg

Comments are welcome :D

Thanks to all,

cheers,

Great informations Terry and Evan, thanks

To make the corrugated metal on this tiny scale, is only to Jedis :D

I don´t know how it could be made. I´m thinking in use some little parts of 1/64 plywood (0,3mm) to make the "tiles" of the roof.

Or made an mix of both if I can find some stuff that can be used like the metal corrugated.

I find a lot of pics that I imagine could help-me, on roof colors.

Comments are welcome :D

Thanks to all,

cheers,

I have seen a "card stock" type of thing that is sold to model railroad enthusiasts...I believe they have a corrugated metal type of thing available, I'm not sure of the scale. (If you go in for that type of thing:rolleyes:)

Yes Proton, I think in something like this, of railroad models, the N scale is about 1/150 so it fit good with 1/144. Let´s see what that I can find...

Good news, today the mail delivers my new Eduard Stuka ! Wow, great kit, comes with masks and PE !! :D :D

Well guys,

With good informations on hands, is time to work :D

I´m going to star to the funny part, the barn, so today I draw a little plans on Corel Draw and starts to build.

I make some strips from 1/32 scrap balsa, and with ciano, started the construction.

By de pics I dd some scale down to size, it is not exactly, but is but closer to the real

Some pics:

DSC02290.jpg

DSC02291.jpg

DSC02292.jpg

DSC02293.jpg

DSC02294.jpg

Some dry fit to show the size and scale:

DSC02295.jpg

DSC02296.jpg

Thanks to see :D :D

cheers,

Looking impressive Lucas.Keep working. :thumbright:

In meantime I have resized the last pic with the barn roof.

Attachments

• 3a.JPG
    3a.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 171
Tks Wurger !

Looking this pic, my barn size is ok :D, Something three times the length from the spinner to the wing trailing edge, good to me

This pic shows the roof good, seens like metal roof, good ...

cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back