1:32 Animated Model of the Battleship New Jersey Steering Gear Systems

Ryan Sizmanski wondered why the rudder was so fabricated. i suggested that it was to reduce weight. While this seems to be a non-issue with somthing that already weighed 47,000t empty, it really is a concern. Every ton of extra weight means less armor and less magazine stores. It's already drawing 36' feet of water. And a lighter rudder would have faster helm response. It's hard enough to turn a 25' high slab of steel into a water flow generated by a 57t ship moving at 33 knots, you don't need that slab to be overweight.

As to the model, it also meant I could build them in two parts. First, so it would fit on my printer, but secondly, as a single component, there would be no way to assemble it with the single-piece rudder forging.

I got the new rudder hub glued together last night, and, with a little relieving here and there, got the rudder to smoothly turn 35º in each direction. The SINGLE weld flange is now correctly located. There was a pinhole in the model that was weeping some uncured resin. I sealed it with Bondic.

SG Gluing Rudder Hub T-2.jpg


SG Correct Rudder Swing to Port.jpg


There is a positive stop built into the hub that prevents going beyond that limit.

SG Correct Rudder Swing to Strbd.jpg


The latest version of ChiTuBox places supports everywhere they're needed, even in recesses and places that are not visible. Past versions would only place supports where they had a direct connection down to the build plate, and in many cases wouldn't let you place supports from one part of the model to another. That said, it results in hundreds of supports on a part this complex. Removable was slow, but steady. You have to be careful not to remove actual part when manhandling the supports. For the frames I used all medium supports with heavies only on the bottom most portion to the build plate to ensure that the base connection is strong.

This was when half of the supports were removed.

SG de-spruing the Lower Rudder Frame.jpg


I had to remove some stock where the frames entered the confines of the rudder forging. I was expecting this since I used "Interface Surfaces" to locate the interacting contact points and knew that it would be an interference fit. After several cycles of fit/sand/fit, I got the frames to nestle into position.

I then, working slowly and carefully on the 1" belt sander, removed the high spots on the stringers and faired the leading and trailing edges into the frame.

This pic is before any surface sanding.

SG Rudder Frame Rev View.jpg


And lastly, here's an oblique view showing the sanding.

SG Rudder Frame Sanded.jpg


This whole part of the job came out much easier than I envisioned. When I saw John's rendering and how complex it was I ran through several scenarios. One was to make the ribs separately and use strip stringers to tie them together a la model airplane construction. But it meant that the web frames had to be individual pieces needing gluing and fitting. They simply couldn't pass through each other as seen on SketchUp. But, once I drew them all together with the stringers, the printer didn't care.

Next up is skinning. I can use styrene or balsa. Styrene has a better surface, but isn't really good to glue with CA or even epoxy, and solvent cements don't work on resin. Balsa glues well with both, but requires tons of filling and finishing to give it a metal-like finish. I have enough styrene in the shop. I'll go this route, using epoxy and small screws to hold the plates in place until it cures and then fill the screw holes aftwards. Any thoughts?
 
After getting the framing drawings from John Miano, I got down to business drawing them in 3D. The first thing I noticed was their quality. Not good. I could barely make out any text, but just enough to make out a few dimensions that I could use for scaling. That brings up the second challenge. I would scale the drawing to a specific measure, for example: 4'-O". I would draw the part. Then I find that on the other end of the sheet with another 4' dimension, it measured 3'-9". I found out from John that the microfilm transcription sometimes warps the microfilm. I then had to individually scale each frame on the sheet to ensure that they're based on the same scale.

Lastly there was a 3rd challenge. The 1:32 scale frames came out to over 11" wide. No material what I did, that sized part will not fit on my machine. I then started working on Plan B; sending scaled 2D profiles to CorelDraw and drawing them for auto-scribing the shapes on the digital vinyl cutter. This would have taken a ton of time. Then when visiting the shop this morning, I realized I could break down each frame into parts to fit the printer. That is what I'm doing.

SG Frame Print Scheme .png


You will notice that the parts of the longitudinal members are included in the drawing and being printed with them. This serves two purposed: it automatically sets the frame spacing for assembly and ensures that all these pieces are shaped and positioned properly. In communications with John he explained that the longitudinal are installed in long sheets and it's the frames that are welded in pieces to them. I conceived it in reverse. Actually, to build the model prototypically would have been much more difficult.

I can get two frame parts of the four onto the printer and this image shows the job almost complete.

SG Frame Printing Start.jpg


Lastly, here's the progress so far. If you're paying attention, you will note that the frames are not lining up vertically with the section diagram of the ship. They are situated much lower. Turns out that this diagram, that I have been using for lots of New Jersey projects, is not correct. It's an illustration, not a blue print. I know that the frames are correct since they are drawn from builder's plans.

SG Framing WIP.png


The plans have the bulges on the sides of the skeg portion. The plans call this the "Twin Keel". Actually, those bulges on the ship are the massive prop fairing casting which I'm printing separately. So everywhere I drew them according to the plan, I'm removing while editing each frame for printing.

Screenshot 2026-09-23 at 12.56.30 PM.png


This project is starting to cost some $$$. I have to buy heavy 1/4 plexiglass to make the support, case and base materials, and sheet styrene for the skinning of all the parts.
 
:thumbright:
 
A new week… new challenges. I've gotten 90% of the frames drawn and fit in the drawing. I'm not printing anything until I'm sure that the drawings are correct. This project is eating a lot of resin and don't want to waste any.

The hardest part is fitting the frames around the rudder bearing. The drawings are a bit ambiguous and I had to spend a lot of time understanding them.

The newest interation of SketchUp has an AI rendering engine. I gave it a test run today. Produces a nice render… not as sophisticated as my VRay sub-program, but does some things well. This is what's drawn so far. Most of the frames are broken into two or three parts, but the ones in the aft section and those wrapping around the rudder bearing don't need all that fussing as they fit as is.

The real frames are thin plate steel with a welded this plate flange arond the perimeter and encircling each manhole. While the printer could replicate these cross-sections, their longevity would be suspect. I've attempted to make scale structures, but breakage becomes a major attemtion grabber. Viewers will not mind, especially with the animation and the complexity of the mechinery.

Screenshot 2026-10-06 at 11.31.38 AM.png


I drew the frames full and then intersected their faces with the rudder hub. Cut away all those that interfered, and closed all the open edges to make them solid again for printing. Time consuming and a bit finicky.

Here's the AI rendering.

SG Frame Planning.png


So dear readers, what do you think if I decided to leave the frames open as you see here? I could skin part or skin the entire thing and make some cutaway openings. Not skinning would save me some $$. Sheet styrene is expensive.

Later this week I may do some printing, but we're taking a short trip Back East to visit family next week.
 
Perhaps skin a portion and use a mirror on the other side for frame illustration.
 
A new week… new challenges. I've gotten 90% of the frames drawn and fit in the drawing. I'm not printing anything until I'm sure that the drawings are correct. This project is eating a lot of resin and don't want to waste any.

The hardest part is fitting the frames around the rudder bearing. The drawings are a bit ambiguous and I had to spend a lot of time understanding them.

The newest interation of SketchUp has an AI rendering engine. I gave it a test run today. Produces a nice render… not as sophisticated as my VRay sub-program, but does some things well. This is what's drawn so far. Most of the frames are broken into two or three parts, but the ones in the aft section and those wrapping around the rudder bearing don't need all that fussing as they fit as is.

The real frames are thin plate steel with a welded this plate flange arond the perimeter and encircling each manhole. While the printer could replicate these cross-sections, their longevity would be suspect. I've attempted to make scale structures, but breakage becomes a major attemtion grabber. Viewers will not mind, especially with the animation and the complexity of the mechinery.

View attachment 898275

I drew the frames full and then intersected their faces with the rudder hub. Cut away all those that interfered, and closed all the open edges to make them solid again for printing. Time consuming and a bit finicky.

Here's the AI rendering.

View attachment 898274

So dear readers, what do you think if I decided to leave the frames open as you see here? I could skin part or skin the entire thing and make some cutaway openings. Not skinning would save me some $$. Sheet styrene is expensive.

Later this week I may do some printing, but we're taking a short trip Back East to visit family next week.
WOW!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back