1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Black One"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! This Photobucket fiasco has me feeling less enthusiastic about the joys of internet sharing. I hate when I research other message boards and find broken links where the photos should be. Now that is going to be much more commonplace. And don't feel too bad for me. It's not like I lost any photos. I store my photos on redundant hard drives so losing photos was never an issue. Robert... thanks for the heads up on IMGUR. I just went through the trouble of migrating my Dora Black 1 photos from PB to IMGUR so I'm not really motivated to do it again. But... I'll have to do some research on a long term solution. If IMGUR pulls the plug on my account, so be it.

With the completion of the Eduard flaps, I can start assembling the major components. The wing halves have been glued together and I've cleaned up the glue seams.
khs67D2.jpg

bp3cbEt.jpg

The tail assembly has been glued onto the forward fuselage. I made sure that the mating surfaces were square to each other to make the joint as tight as possible. There is a very small gap on the lower edge of the port side that needs to be filled with White Milliput. Other than that, the seam looks pretty clean and will not need much attention.
yI5Btoq.jpg

CD2F59N.jpg

nRgWNEh.jpg

The cowling flaps are glued into place. Some extra painting work was spent trying to create some depth on this flat piece.
Yhffc42.jpg

Here's a look at the fuselage with the tail assembly in place. Starting to look like a Dora now!
mqvQ1zE.jpg

I noticed something I missed while inspecting the fit of the cowl flaps. The short shroud over the first exhaust pipe has a thick edge that needs to be trimmed down. Port side...
wuxqs7d.jpg

658qpIL.jpg

Starboard side... After the camo painting, the area around the exhausts will be painted black per the early WNr 210xxx Doras. This should make the shroud edges look even thinner.
T8p9iZy.jpg

NpAOokg.jpg

Next, the radiator face is glued into place.
5YfyNms.jpg

The Eagle Editions resin radiator cowling is tested for fit. It sits nice and snug even without glue.
xIr9rRL.jpg

1UdcTvD.jpg

I also took this opportunity to check the fit of the wings. It's a very good fit, which is a relief since there is always the chance that the aftermarket cockpit or flaps could throw things out of whack.
d13aggD.jpg

7wHkPcV.jpg

opJznyS.jpg

A good time to check the view into wheel wells. I think the additional wiring adds a lot of depth and complexity to this area.
A7bcQD1.jpg

LrrvV2O.jpg

There is a bit of a gap at the bottom. Big enough to consider shimming it with plastic sheet instead of just relying on putty.
dNVXqSd.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys! I hope everyone is doing well. Especially the SoCal guys with this heat that we are having right now.

On a positive note, I received the Canon S100 via Ebay. It was used so I got at a very good price but the camera is in pristine condition and came with three batteries, charger, two cases and a 16GB card that was not included in the description. Image quality is so much better than the old Optio that I've been saddled with for the past week. The S100 behaves a little bit differently than the S95 so I'm going to have to get used to that but I'm happy to have my online pictures back to the quality that I'm used to.

The Dora is at the stage where I'm preparing to mate the wings to the fuselage. The radiator cowling has been added to the front end, the tail unit has been attached to the back end and the joints for those connections have been filled, cleaned up and primered.
4E6kI6W.jpg

A view of the rivets on the starboard fuselage... just a check of the camera's ability for close-up shots. The S100 has a much shorter minimum focus distance than the S95 so I'm able to get really close to the subject if necessary.
ejuQilJ.jpg

Views of the joint at the tail unit. Fit was very good and I was able to use White Milliput to seal the small gaps without having to sand and lose detail.
NG6OjDe.jpg

jFSnn1S.jpg

Similar views of the front end. I may have to re-establish the rivets on the cowling with a needle point.
EpXL34E.jpg

nZxwtDX.jpg

In order to bridge the gap on the bottom of the fuselage that I discovered during the dry-fit of the wings to the fuselage, I've cut a piece of thin sheet styrene to serve as a shim. This is recommended on larger gaps to facilitate a better bond. Otherwise, the gap filled with putty alone is susceptible to cracking/crumbling.
hRRsfYZ.jpg

The exhaust pipes have been given a preliminary paint job. After painting, I noticed some knife damage caused when reaming out the tips so I need to fix those before I finalize the paint. I also wanted to see if the photos could discern the subtle color variation on the exhaust tips but the white background simply crushes the subtle tonal differences. I'll have to try and use a darker background next time.
xaWucY2.jpg

The photos are great quality. Canon makes a great product! Love the shots and that kit does seem to have great out of the box fit! Shims do work wonders with the larger seams plus I have found if the seam is to large and you use filler it will almost certainly shrink some necessitating at least one more application.

What a great job John and congratulations on the new acquisition for your photo studio. In good time :thumbleft::mrgreen::thumbright:

It is a shame what happened with the mentioned photographic site-host; ... and more now that I see that your work was lost in the thread of your P-51B in 1/48. :(
Is there any other way to see these photographs? As you know, I have a project with a P-51B and a FU4-4

:confused5: So as not to distract this formidable workbench, you can contact me in a PM. :oops:

I remain attentive to the progress of this German bird.

Saludos cordiales :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

What a great job John and congratulations on the new acquisition for your photo studio. In good time :thumbleft::mrgreen::thumbright:

It is a shame what happened with the mentioned photographic site-host; ... and more now that I see that your work was lost in the thread of your P-51B in 1/48. :(
Is there any other way to see these photographs? As you know, I have a project with a P-51B and a FU4-4

:confused5: So as not to distract this formidable workbench, you can contact me in a PM. :oops:

I remain attentive to the progress of this German bird.

Saludos cordiales :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

Hi Luis,

My Photobucket account remains intact in the hopes that the decision to limit 3rd-party hosting will be reversed or at least revised to allow older message board threads to be restored at some reasonable cost. My account is public so you should be able to view the images. My P-51B was built in 2016 so let me know if you can view the photos.

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jkim64/library/2016 Models?sort=3&page=1

Looking good John! What have you done your preliminary exhaust painting with?

Hi Kirby,
The exhausts were given a base coat of black and then sprayed with Alclad Aluminum. I then sprayed Alclad Exhaust Manifold over that. Using a highly thinned black, I spot sprayed the hollow ends of each pipe. I've already repaired and repainted the stacks a little bit differently so I'll describe that with my next update. Hopefully, the photos will come out a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back