1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Terry. Maybe I'll leave well enough alone on the blister - I'd hate to damage it at this stage - and thanks for the info on the turret.

Regards,
Gerry

I believe this is something that Horse has added to the forum - there's a reference to it in the 'Website' threads at the bottom of the main menu page.

I've just had a look for that B&W 'works' pic of the turret - what i thought was the nose turret turned out to be pics of the tail and mid-upper turret interiors, without the glazing.

Well, whoever it is that restored the missing pictures, they have my deepest gratitude. It's certainly saved me a great deal of time and work. If they would like to get in touch I'd be delighted to thank them personally. Such generosity shouldn't go unrecognised.

Gerry

..... A question for you as Administrator which you may be able to answer. I've just noticed, going through the thread, that all of the Photobucket photos that were unavailable have now been restored in thumbnail format, and can be individually enlarged. I haven't managed to do more than the most recent posts and I can't find any reference on the Forum to a change of mind by Photobucket. Can you throw any light on this development? I'm very happy but perplexed!

Gerry

The plugin that was installed for the purpose just restored these pics in the way you noticed. However these images aren't of thumbnail format although the button for attaching is titled exactly with the name. Just these are the standard format of the attachment used as the default one by the forum soft that allows to use the forum browser of pictures.. If these would be the thumbnails these were much smaller with a blue file name and some info on it next to each of them. The effect can be noticed if you uloaded pic but didn't hit any button for inserting the attachment code into your post. The difference between the standard format and the large one is the way the code of the attachment ( pic ) is added ( inserted ) . The standard one doesn't contain the "=full" text sequence while the one for displaying of large image requires that. Here are the examples of the code... the first one is the default ( standard ) and the second one is for the large pic. The code for the last shot isn't attached/ inserted at all. Can you see the difference? Anyway, I have written down your note and going to talk to Horse when he comes if he can fix that.

Schowek02.gif

Schowek01.gif

Attachments

• thmbnail.jpg
    thmbnail.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Gerry I have nothing in my manuals on the forward turret but there may be some info in Nanton. I know they have dedicated Fraser Nash Manuals there. I'll see if I can crawl up into the nose tomorrow night and get some pics.

Wurger,
Thank you for your very clear explanation for the picture restoration and the examples you provided really explains the differences. I'm delighted that the pictures are visible once more and can be enlarged by clicking as they stand. I'm reluctant to add more to Horse's workload and really appreciate the work he's done on my behalf. Please convey to him my appreciation.

Andy, I really value you contributions to this build but again am reluctant to put you to any inconvenience. I'm sure it's very difficult to get photos in that very confined space. But your offer is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Gerry

Not at all Gerry. I haven't actually stuck my head in that turret and am keen to do it if I can. Unfortunately, I will not make it to Nanton tonight as we have some severe weather blowing through and I want to stay off the roads.

I've let some time slip by without peeking into your workbench, Gerry.
Finish the qualifiers to refer to your work. I stand and bow. :notworthy:
Counseling and support from colleagues at the forum is also to be applauded. And I also take thanks to W and Horse for the work in the recovery of the photos (from my Gallery it was very comforting to see the time and work that saved us). =D>=D>
I repeat and repeat that I am in a wonderful forum of committed people.

Saludos a todos con admiración y cariño. :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

That's not a problem Andy. Sounds just like the storm we had here Monday when the entire country virtually shut down. If you get the chance that would be great but don't go out of your way.

Good to hear from you again Luis Carlos and I can only agree entirely with your remarks on the generosity and helpfulness of all on this Forum.

Gerry

We had extremely high winds and a number of trucks flipped on the highway. Not to mention grass fires that spread like...well....wildfire. Heading down tomorrow and then again Saturday but I may not have access until next Tuesday night. Not going out of my way at all Gerry so no worries mate. I just need to be there at the same time as the crew which is Tuesday nights for sure.

Gerry, I was was on site yesterday but was unable to climb into the pit but will try again in the hopefully near future. In the meantime, for what it's worth, I did take a shot up through the parachute hatch where you can partially see the installation. I can't vouch that all of it is there since this aircraft is undergoing a long term restoration and many areas are not yet finished. Here is a shot looking up with the nose of the aircraft toward the bottom. Also a zoom of the same pic.

20171019_122816 reduced.jpg
20171019_122816 zoom.jpg

Good stuff Andy.
It might not be possible to get a 'head on' shot of the controls, as the space is very limited. I've found a B&W pic in one of my books, which shows the sides of the gun receivers and the gunsight, as if viewing through the sight, which shows how tight things are.
Gerry, if you think it will help, I'll try to scan it and post it, but I doubt it'll be of much use.

OK Gerry, I managed to slip into the nose turret and took a bunch of pictures below. I do have a couple more so if you see these are of use, let me know and I can post. In addition, I have easy access to the turret now and can go up again Saturday if you see something that needs a closer look. As I said, I can't vouch for the completeness of the turret but it looks to be all there to my untrained eye, with the exception of the front of the box between the guns. Maybe Terry can provide more commentary.

17102401.jpg
17102404.jpg
17102406.jpg
17102408.jpg
17102409.jpg
17102410.jpg
17102411.jpg
17102412.jpg
17102413.jpg
17102414.jpg

That's great work Andy and I really appreciate it. Pictures of the Lancaster's nose turret interior as as rare as hen's teeth - probably because of the difficulty of access and the the problems of photographing in such a tight space.

I have already made a start on the turret, using references of the mid-upper turret, which I concluded wouldn't be much different but there are some differences and your photos allow me make some subtle additions and corrections. And I agree with Terry, based on the interior mid-upper turret mechanism it appears to be complete.

I'm hoping to be in a position to post an update showing my work on enhancing the nose turret sometime over the weekend.

Until then, cheers and thanks,

Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back