1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gerry

Staff Sergeant
Jan 4, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
It's taken me a while to start a thread on this project and I hope that the Administrators will think it a suitable subject for this forum. As some of you will be aware, Hachette launched a weekly Lancaster partworks series, to build a 1;32 Scale Lancaster S-Sugar over 125 weekly parts, more than two years ago. I subscribed from the start but decided early on not to build it week-by-week but to wait until I saw what exactly what they were supplying, particularly the interior detailing - as they didn't ever publish a list of contents for the series, which would have been very useful. Every week was a surprise. As it happens, I think I made the right decision, as I can now plan the build more logically rather than following their plan, which tended to jump from section to section each week and I can already see some later corrected errors that occurred in early issues' instructions.

Buildleaflet_zpsa8a05861.jpg

So, what did I get for my bucks? The basic internal skeleton for the Lancaster is laser-cut light plywood. This on my first trial runs is excellent, with hardly any warping on the parts. The laser-cutting is very precise and the parts remove cleanly from the frets (so far), when the thin retaining lugs are cut with a craft knife. Considering my subscription came through the post from the UK in plastic envelopes, I suffered very little transit damage. I think I replaced about 6 issues in 125 either for broken frets, which couldn't be easily repaired, or parts missing from particular issues. The stringers are supplied as plastic strips. In the initial issues they came straight but in later issues they were bent to fit into smaller packages which makes it more difficult to glue them over long runs like on the wings, where you need to glue and hold on each individual rib or former, until dry. The internal detail is a mixture of metal (zinc?) and plastic. The skin is supplied in aluminium sheets most of which, in the early issues, are pre-cut to panel shapes and drilled as necessary. Unfortunately, they seemed to get lazy towards the end, as for instance, the skins for the bomb bay doors came as a single 10" X 8" sheet, accompanied by a template with 96 individual panels marked for cutting! Pictured below, is a typical issue which included a fret (the bomb bay doors) and a bag of small metal detailing parts for the hinges and deploying arms - and a typical instructions spread from the magazine.

Cover_zpsd9c91b5e.jpg

Spread_zps20128c63.jpg

The standard of internal detailing is quite good with a fully detailed bomb-aimers's position, flight deck and navigator's position. One glaring omission was no radio equipment for the radio op's position! There are three reasonably detailed turrets, flare chutes, ammo tracks, stowed parachutes, tools, dinghies, 4 engines, wing fuel tanks etc. This is not an exhaustive list but you get the idea. Obviously, apart from scratch-building missing equipment, scratch-building extra panels and dials would enhance the authenticity of the interior. There are some contradictions also in the parts they supplied. For instance the H2S radar equipment is supplied for the cabin but they didn't supply the fuselage dome. In fact, the (basic) decals supplied are for S-Sugar at 100 missions, before it went for a major refit and had the H2S radar installed, along with the wider bladed props. My decision, at present, would be to dispense with the H2S radar and depict it before its refit.

Let me say that I have no previous experience working with wood or metal, so what I'm proposing to do on this project may be over ambitious. My thoughts at the moment are to depict the port side as fully skinned and painted. The starboard side would be largely cut-away, as in diagrams, showing the structural detail, engines and interiors as much as possible. Whether I have the skill to follow through on this, we will just have to wait and see. Surprisingly, there are very few blogs of this build that I have found, so far. There are, however, two on other forums that I have found very helpful, as regards a week-by week account; pointing out build errors, bear-traps and hints. There is one excellent build incorporated into one of these threads, short on interior detail but showing a beautiful result on the exterior. I would be happy to post links to these posts, if the administrators agree.

Here's how far I've got at the moment. I did a test build of the nose and the port wing when I first subscribed, just to see how it came together. Since then, I think it would be better to leave the stringers until the last, as the will impede access to the interior spaces. In one issue, the instructions recommend you cut away an already finished fuselage section to gain access for interior detail! I want to avoid that sort of madness, if possible.

I've now started on the front fuselage sections and will do all of rest of the sections to a basic level before I start detailing. I see this as being a Marathon rather than a sprint and, as I don't want to cease building conventional kits, will probably need to break from time to time - so this thread could be a long haul.

A shot of the sections built so far. The 1:72 Lanc is to give some idea of the size of this monster, in comparison. BTW, that's a mini cutting-pad under it!

Scaleshot_zps2bfb91e8.jpg

The front three sections loosely joined together for fit with toothpicks and double sided tape and a close up showing the cabin joined to the main spar, incorporating the inner wing ribs.

front3sections_zps20832845.jpg

Front3sectionscu_zps52afa27c.jpg

Detail of the ribs and stringing on the port wing.

Portwing_zps151a7018.jpg

One of the 4 Merlins, partially finished (the black parts).

Merlin22_zpsa7cb237d.jpg

A metal prop, spinner and two bombs. The kit supplies nine bombs, I got 11 in total with replacement issues.

Propampbombs_zps4bc1fce1.jpg

So that's it for now. I'll continue to post as the build progresses..

Sláinte,

Gerry

Last edited:
Fantastic mate!!!

They had the same idea here, only the Bismarck... also fantastic, but glad I didn't start - hardly ever see the magazine in the shops!

Great stuff Gerry !
I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress! It's one of those I thought about myself, but realized that I have absolutely nowhere to build it or display it !
By the look of it, it should turn out to be a stunning display model, especially with fuselage sections opened up for internal viewing. I'm curious to learn how you'll go about actually painting the interior, as I'd guess there'll be some awkward areas here and there.

Nice to see you back with this unique project Gerry. I'll be watching with interest. Let me know if you need any detailed pictures as I can access the interior of the Lancaster at the museum down the road from me.

This is going to be one of those builds where were all glued to the screen and drooling at the bit. A great project Gerry and such a huge monster, it will be a delight to watch it come together.

Maybe one of you Mods can make it a sticky!

Hi Guys, thank you for expressing your interest in this build. I am ploughing on with the basic construction but might have a bit more to show by the weekend. To address some of the comments in your posts: Andy, I appreciate your generous offer of interior shots and I envy your easy access to a real Lanc! I have a number of walkthroughs bookmarked from my 1:72 Lancaster build but if you're following the build and spot anything you don't think is right, then a reference that shows the correct method would always be appreciated.

Terry, regarding the painting sequence, my thoughts at this time would be to build the individual sections, fully string the port side, leaving the starboard unstringed for access and install anything that would be in the interior colour and paint all (green or black). All equipment would then be pre-painted before putting into position, adding stringers to the port side as necessary to support items. Hopefully some brush washing could be achieved at this stage. Before skinning, I would paint the inside of the skins in the relevant colours before attaching them. Simples, at least in theory, but I'll have to see what unforeseen problems arise when I try to put it into practice.

And Meatloaf, well spotted. Easy to build - not!

Gerry

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan Gerry. BTW, what material is used for the outer skin surface?
Oh, and I'm now kicking myself, and wishing I'd taken the plunge and bought the issues as they were released, then worry about where to put it later!

Terry, the skins are aluminium, about 0.5mm I think. Like you, I feel a little like the dog chasing the car that has finally caught one. Now what do I do with it??

Yep. Too good to hang from the ceiling, and too big to put on a shelf!
I think that, if I had bought it, like you I'd fully detail the interior, with key areas of the starboard side 'cut away', entrance and nose escape hatches open, ladders in place, possibly install scale lighting, and then place it on 'permanent loan' with a suitable museum.
Unless I won the lottery, then it'd be a center-piece display in the entrance hall to the new house!

10-4 Gerry. I'm not convinced that the museum Lanc is correctly adorned on the inside, with the possible exception of the cockpit as the engines are fully functional (well 3 are but the 4th will be hooked up this summer). However, if you need to see details of some of the electronic equipment, gun turrets, etc., the museum has plenty of artifacts that I can get close to.

Looking forward to this build Gerry.

I feel remiss for taking so long in getting back to you with this post, notwithstanding the St. Patrick's celebrations coming in between! I have been working away but not on any particularly visual parts. I've also concluded that I've seriously underestimated the amount of detailing, not supplied with the kit, that will have to be added to this build to get it to the level I would like.

Most of my time has been spent retro fitting the cabin section. While metal flooring has been supplied for most of the rest of the fuselage, for some reason it hadn't been thought of for the main cabin. Unfortunately I had build this section at the beginning with the pilot's platform and the support poles for the navigator's table already drilled and attached to the floor, so the floor had to be laid in sections around these. Tricky enough. I decided that because of all the cutting and shaping it would be easier to to use thin white plastic card, which worked out well.

Here are some more photos of where I am to date.

Photo 1. The sections built so far. Fuel tank bearer ribs have been installed and another section of fuselage has been added behind the rear spar. There is a very slight twist to the floor between front and rear here - nothing light pressure doesn't correct but I'm trying to figure a way to hold that correction permanently. Any thoughts? The two inner wing fuel tanks have been assembled and dry fitted but not yet detailed with fuel cocks, pipes and restraining straps etc.

Innerwingfueltanks_zps0044aa78.jpg

Photos 2 3. The cabin section with the flooring added. Before this was laid the panels were riveted with a riveting wheel. You can just about make them out in photo 2 but they're a little clearer in photo 3, where the step, made from strip and rod is also visible.

Cabinskinned_zpsaf5b0888.jpg

Floorrivits_zps1fb7bdc1.jpg

Photo 4. Some of the extra detail I'm beginning to add to the cabin. (A) Is the curved spar cover (not supplied) that was made from spare aluminium skin with (B) the reverse of its return section, penetrating further into the cabin. (C) I added some extra depth to the table lip with 2mm plastic strip. (D) is a support pole for the swivel arm for the navigator's seat.

Tableskirts_zps63fcbe1e.jpg

Apart from this , I have started to look at the cockpit controls panel, and engineer's panel and modifying the various cabin seats. I'm not going to make any rash promises, but will post again when I have a bit more to show.

Thanks for looking in.

Gerry

Fantastic work already Gerry. Take your time and don't worry about us waiting. Post when you can.

I have no suggestions about that warp but I'm thinking that, once everything is buttoned up, it won't be too noticeable when viewed from the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back