<> 1/48 Arado Ar196A - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non-competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: Ar196A
Aftermarket addons: None planned

This will be my second entry into this GB that I'll work on during breaks in my Swordfish build. I've not yet settled on a scheme but will likely pick one from the kit options.

Andy, at the right of your Thread title should be a button called "Thread Tools" I believe and there's a title edit button. Looking forward to this and if you need anything, I have a couple books on the Ar 196 and a few on German naval aircraft

Question:

Do you think that this particular aircraft caries the 72/73 splinter scheme? Tamiya says it was a single colour on top. I've seen profiles (which I rarely trust except form certain sources) show both ways.

Personally, I believe that there are two colours.

6620695003_114ed8bf96_b.jpg

Hmm - difficult to tell Andy.
I've played around with the colour balance and contrast, and also changed the pic to monochrome, adjusting the contrast, and couldn't see any definite demarcation on contrast change in the colour(s).
However, the nose area around the cowling certainly looks darker, so it's possible that there is a splinter pattern, although I'll admit it does seem to be all one colour.
Is there any evidence of the Arado being finished in a single upper surface colour ?

Yeah, I have that one too Geo and I agree. Terry, yes, according to Ulmann, "later aircraft may have had a single upper colour" which observation he bases on photos. I must admit there is little evidence of two colours on the fuselage, apart from the nose seeming to be darker. But I thought the wing was interesting. See details below:

First the marked detail. Note the yellow lines and then look at the unmarked detail below:

Capture 2.jpg
Capture.JPG

To my eye, there could be two different greens on the wing. It;s also odd that the wing root fairing is so dark.

I kinda like the splinter scheme so maybe I'll do "H" if I find one in my decal stash,

Had a look at my limited references on the Arado, and haven't seen any definite mention of a single-colour camouflage scheme.
Although sometimes very hard to see, they all seem to be in the splinter scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back