1/48 Arii (Otaki) Ki-43 Hayabusa (Finished!!)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow !!, first of all, thanks for sharing the fine detail of the process and the clear and precise way to explain it.
From the experience with the colors and paintings of the scheme, the tires, the gear legs and the gear covers.
This is something very entertaining and enriching, Chad, ... and what is still missing makes you look forward to it soon.

Saludos amigo :thumbup:

Thank you guys for the kind and encouraging words. Working on detailing the landing gear. I should have an update with pics this weekend.

Finally another update! Time at the bench has been scarce lately making for a lengthy time between updates.

Been fiddling with it here and there and I figured I finally had enough to report on my progress. Without further ado...

1013180131.jpg

I modified the landing gear legs by shortening them about 1mm. I used the gear covers as a gauge as to how much to shorten them.

1112182215.jpg

1115181431.jpg

I modified the kit prop and spinner by scribing a panel line forward of the blades. I drilled out the center and added a hucks starter hub from plastic rod that I drilled out to match my references. I added styrene and putty behind the blades to enclose the propeller blades and give the proper impression of a hub back plate. There are three holes, one between each blade that was for being able to spray deicing fluid on the prop pitch control parts. This detail was absent also so I marked and drilled them out.

1115181148.jpg
1115181430.jpg
1115181430a.jpg

The landing gear covers were glued to the legs and the pair received a coat of gloss black enamel followed by alclad airframe aluminum. After drying they received a generous coat of future finish applied by brush. The oleo boots were painted raw umber. I added brake lines from .010 beading wire and lead wire. The connectors I made from plastic cotton swab sticks stretched over a flame to the desired diameter then cut to size. This is exactly the same technique used to stretch sprue. I have no hypodermic needles or microscopic brass tubing so this comes in very handy.

1021180154.jpg

I made the Type 100 reflective sight from pieces of styrene, copper wire and soda can aluminum. I counted 23 separate pieces total to make it!

1116181103a.jpg
1116181103.jpg
1116181103b.jpg
1116181103c.jpg
1116181106.jpg

This part was definitely a test of patience but I think it was worth it. The most tedious part? Making the cross hairs for the ring and bead backup sight out of copper wire! I used future to glue them together as anything else would have filled in the ring.

That's it for now. Things are wrapping up, I am already in the beginning stages of weathering. See you guys next time, hopefully sooner than later, and thanks for looking in.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Fiddling with more stuff tonight, will get some pics up soon.

Thanks Geo! Thanks for the tip on the ink pen tubes as well. ;)

Small update today guys.

1118181306.jpg

I made the headrest cushion as well as the fuel warning buzzer on the side of the headrest from milliput. The electrical cable for the buzzer is lead wire.

1118181311.jpg

I made the pitot out of tube from a stretched cotton swab tube and a piece of wire. I wrapped Tamiya tape around the back to get a snug fit into the wing. I used calipers to measure the pitot in my Hasegawa kit to determine the correct size.

1118181312.jpg

Here it is test fit into place. It still needs to be painted of course. Hopefully it will be snug enough yet still removable to minimize breaking during transport, plus easily replaceable if damage does occur.

That's it for now. Slowly but surely I'm getting closer to the finish line. I have to respray some of the alclad on the wings and belly where I got too agrees removing the oil wash I applied. More updates to come as things get done.

Chad

Last edited:
Wow... inspiring work on a vintage kit, Chad! Proficiency at (or even just being comfortable with) scratch building is a skill that few possess and it looks like you are one of the few. I remember those Arii/Otake kits back in the day. I want to say that I built one... a Ki-100, I think. Great stuff!

Wow... inspiring work on a vintage kit, Chad! Proficiency at (or even just being comfortable with) scratch building is a skill that few possess and it looks like you are one of the few. I remember those Arii/Otake kits back in the day. I want to say that I built one... a Ki-100, I think. Great stuff!
Thanks much John! I am humbled by your kind words because I often find myself looking over your builds for inspiration. Scratchbuilding is a blessing and a curse. I often find myself adding things to my models because I say to myself "Hey I can make 'X' part", but this inevitably drags out my builds to ridiculously long build times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back