1/48 Curtiss Hawk 81-A2 Tomahawk - AVG.China 1941/42 - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Vic! Trying to keep this build going for a little bit. I did some small, but not unimportant things on the clearparts

Apparently there isn't any vertical framing on the windscreen on the P-40C. The illusion of a frame being there is created by a piece of armored glass (in a frame) on the inside of the windscreen. Apparently this is often mis-interpreted as a frame on the outside of the windscreen. This pic also show the little frame on the aft window goes straight doen.
18-aftwindows_windscreen.jpg

This very clearly shows the piece armored glass on the inside of the windscreen and how this might lead to the idea of a frame being on the outside of the windscreen on more general pictures.
22-windscreen.jpg

The Academy kit aft windows has this frame moled into a bit of an angle. Notice how it rougly should have ran along that little line of rivets only just visible behind that window?
19-aftwindow.jpg

So, I sanded off the framing from the windscreen and polished it real good into a shiny new curved windscreen, and dipped it in future (which for a change did actually work this time due to some precautions/changes I've made to the way I work with this stuff) I hope to be able to create a piece of armoured glass on the inside of the windscreen by using a piece of clearpart from the spares box or something)
20-windscreen.jpg

The aft windows had their frames removed, polished and dipped in future as well. Same goes for the big sliding hood, which also came out fine. New frames on the aft windows will prolly be made out of some (pre-painted) tape of sorts.
21-aftwindowsnew.jpg

Last edited:
Been a little silent here as of late, but I've been trying to get my head around working on some of the accuracy issues that come with this kit. I've looked up a few build reports of guys who cut the entire wing section/fairing in half and basically rebuild that area. I don't feel like cutting the kit to pieces, but perhaps I could at least partially deal with a few of the accuracy issues.

Here's two pics of what I have in mind. Look at pic.1, the fairing on the lower surface is way too small towards the radiator and it has a few cut-aways that aren't supposed to be there (looks more like P-40E I think) While my sollution doesn't turn it into a completely accurate representation of that area it may be an improvement nonetheless. The most basic idea I've had sofar is to at least build up the fairing a bit by means of milliput/putty, so I tacked a good chuck of tacky gum in place (see pic 2) to see how that might work out. Ofcourse it would involve some sanding/polishing and re-scribing a few panel lines and such, but this seems like a rather simple way to at least partially deal with some accuracy issues.

What do you think? I know this doesn't nearly deal with all the accuracy issues in this area, but it might be an improvement after all. Perhaps some of you guys have other ideas on what I could do to deal with this area (that is without cutting it in pieces)

dc920065.jpg

183e9707.jpg

Last edited:
It's a good idea if you don't want to cut at the area. There migh be troubles with restoring of panel lines there because a material difference between plastic and the putty. Some sanding is needed though.

There migh be troubles with restoring of panel lines there because a material difference between plastic and the putty. Some sanding is needed though.

I don't mind a little sanding. If I take it into account when I put the Milliput in place I should be able to make it into a fairly smooth surface, limiting the amound of sanding needed. As for scribing panel lines, I haven't had that much trouble scribing lines in milliput, but it wouldn't hurt to take into consideration when it comes to the area where the milliput chunk is to be blended into the rest of the (plastic) surface.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back