>> **** DONE: 1/48 HARVARD MK.IV - Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just remask and repaint until you're satisfied with the result. I always end up repainting frames on my canopies. In the case of the Heller T-6G, it was at least 15 times stripping with Simple Green and starting over. I thought I was going to toss the whole thing several times. Be careful when handling your canopy as I had no idea how fragile these are until I destroyed mine. I'm going to have to build my Ocidental Harvard as a MK II so that I can have the MK IV canopy parts to finish my Goldilocks Harvard.

Good plan Larry. I'll probably do just that. And you are right about fragile, the rear most clear part had a stress fracture in it even before i removed it from the sprue

George, I borrowed the last part from a Revell/ Monogram kit as a test and assuming that you're talking about the very last part of the canopy, one of those would be a decent replacement if some one can supply you with it. See attached photos.

100_1645.JPG
100_1643.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Andy, even though I was 312kms/194 miles away from the fires as the crow flies, there was no relief from the smoke on the coast. Tourists are complaining that they can't see the mountains ...

IMG_2692.jpg

....anyhoo....before I left I smeared paint on a spare clear part as a test base. I just removed the paint with nail polish remover and then clear coated it with Future....so far so good. I'll check it later to see if there are any reactions

Sweet! I am reminded of a tip I found somewhere that actually does work, along the lines of what you tried, and that was to coat the clear parts in Vaseline with a cotton bud or brush. You can heat vaseline up (carefully) and it turns almost into a liquid for application. And oddly enough in that state it is self leveling. Then once you are done painting it wipes off easily! Coat the windows with future first I would suggest.

Back at it....slightly. Started clear coating the wings and then I remembered the anti-glare panel so now that's done. Keep in mind that the cowling is only butt joined on for the pic so is out of alignment.

005.JPG

Slowly removing paint from the clear parts, still not sure how I'm going to proceed after. I was thinking about painting clear decal film but I'm not sure how to go about cutting the bendy parts. I was also thinking about painting Tamiya tape, that would conform to the bendy parts

Terry's found a way to paint Scotch Tape then cut it into strips but I've never been able to make that work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back