>> 1/48 Jet Provost T.5 – Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Jet Provost T.5, RAF, circa late 1980's.

Username:- Airframes.
Name :- Terry.
Category :- Judge - non competing.
Kit:- Fly Models Jet Provost T.5/T.5A.
Scale :- 1/48th.
Accessories :- Mostly 'OOB', with scratch seat harnesses, maybe some aftermarket decals.

The Jet Provost was the RAF's basic trainer from initial full service with the T3 in 1959, replacing the earlier piston-engined Percival Provost, until retirement in 1993 with the final version, the T.5, which had a pressurised cockpit.
Another late version was the T.5A, which had upgraded avionics and some other systems, and the BAC 'Strikemaster', a light attack aircraft, with all versions being exported overseas.
A number of the T.3 and T.5/5A types are still flying, in private ownership, around the world, as are a few of the 'Strikemaster' variant.

I hope to possibly make a start on the preparation before going to 'Flying Legends' at Duxford this coming weekend, and then get 'stuck in' on my return, when I'll post some sprue shots of this rather nice kit. I haven't yet decided on the final colour scheme, but it will probably be from the kit decals, as a No.1 FTS aircraft, similar to that shown as the third profile on the box art below, this particular example being a currently airworthy, privately owned aircraft.

Jet Provost Build 001.JPG
Jet Provost Build 002.JPG

I got the kit a couple of years back, and it's still current.
Nicely moulded, with fine detail, and a bag full of resin parts, including seats, for the cockpit. No locating pins though, so some plastic strip might be needed to aid alignment of the fuselage.
Fly Models also do the 'Strikemaster' variant, and have recently released the earlier Jet Provost T.3.

Sprue shots, including the numerous resin parts, some surface detail, and the decals.

Jet Provost Build 007.JPG
Jet Provost Build 003.JPG
Jet Provost Build 010.JPG
Jet Provost Build 011.JPG
Jet Provost Build 013.JPG
Jet Provost Build 004.JPG
Jet Provost Build 009.JPG
Jet Provost Build 005.JPG
Jet Provost Build 015.JPG

Thanks chaps.
Not much to show just yet, but I've made a start cleaning up the fuselage, after removing the sprue attachment points and a couple of ejector pin marks, and prepared the plastic and resin cockpit parts for painting and fitting. The fuselage sprue attachments stand proud of the joint line on the parts, and needed careful removal, and some filing, scraping and sanding, to allow the fuselage halves to meet.
The resin ejection seats will also need some modification, as they have the port and starboard 'handed' canopy breaker head boxes as used on the 'Strikemaster', but not the T5/T5A, which will need to be carefully removed, and then add the harness detail from foil, but this can be done later in the build, adding the seats after the fuselage is joined.
I'm hoping to get the cockpit started at least, before going of to Duxford, so i'll post some progress pics then.

Nice looking kit Terry. Really like the looks of the one that was in Nova Scotia....will not go to eBay...will not go to eBay.........
I know the feeling Geo, when looking for pictures of my Hawk, a pic of one of these in grey/green cammo popped up.............
.will not go to eBay...will not go to eBay.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back