>> 1/48 XP-55 Ascender - Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. First problems with my PC, Then too busy to do anymore work. I hope to get back to it but first here is the work I did when my PC refused to connect to the internet.

First, thick CA and bits of plastic to shim the gap between the resin cockpit tub and the left fuselage side
P5162488.JPG

The rear cockpit bulkhead filed and sanded smooth with the fuselage after shimming the gap
P5162489.JPG

The real aircraft had a large box mounted on the rear bulkhead that is not included with the kit. I made one up from a resin pouring block
P5162490.JPG

Both elevators were molded as one piece forcing you to install them when the nose cap is installed making finishing the seam difficult. I decided to cut them apart and add a brass rod for re-attachment so I could put them on later
P5202493.JPG

The underside radiator intake assembled and, seams smoothed and re-scribed
P5202494.JPG

The joint at the wingtip fins was awful as seen in the first pic. It was filled with CA and smoothed out and the result after a lot of work is seen in the second and third pic
P5182492.JPG

P5202495.JPG

P5202497.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I pulled this one and a few others off the unfinished shelf and started up work on them again

I finished smoothing all the glue joints and sanded them and the whole fuselage down to 800 grit. Also cleaned up the gear doors and spinner.

P1012949.JPG
P1012956.JPG

They gave me 2 vac canopies which was good as I cracked the first one. The second one turned out alright but over the years the kit has been in storage the canopy has yellowed. I have fixed yellowed decals by putting then in a window for a couple of weeks and letting the sun bleach the yellow out so I'm giving it a try with the canopy. Had anyone tried this before with plastic?

P1012953.JPG
P1012954.JPG

Here's the canopy after spending a couple of weeks on a window sill in direct sunlight. Not 100% but defiantly a vast improvement over what it was comparing it to the photo above in post #52. It has since been dipped in Future and I might find time to put it on tomorrow.

P1012977.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back