>> 1/48 Hawk T.1 - Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Karl, now that you mentioned it, that is an excellent idea. I usually just hold the model in my left hand and spray away. By the time I clean up the airbrush from one color and get ready for the second the first color is dry so I just flip the model over and spray away.
One thing that I mentioned in several posts is to practice your spraying on those Styrofoam take home boxes. You have inner and outer curves and flat surfaces so you can practice over-all spraying and medium and fine lines/shapes/etc. Practice different pressures and paint volume control. I spray nothing but acrylics so fumes have never been a problem. You will love the airbrush it makes a world of difference in your models...right up there with Micro-sol & -set

In my opinion, it's better to practice on a material that is similar in texture to the surface of the model you are going to paint. Styrofoam or paper won't accept the spray the same as a hard, smooth styrene surface will and you may find that a combination of thinner/paint ratio and pressure works well on one but not the other. An old model is ideal but, if you don't have one, you can take one from the stash and use the inner surfaces of the wings which won't be seen once put together.

Karl, now that you mentioned it, that is an excellent idea. I usually just hold the model in my left hand and spray away. By the time I clean up the airbrush from one color and get ready for the second the first color is dry so I just flip the model over and spray away.
One thing that I mentioned in several posts is to practice your spraying on those Styrofoam take home boxes. You have inner and outer curves and flat surfaces so you can practice over-all spraying and medium and fine lines/shapes/etc. Practice different pressures and paint volume control. I spray nothing but acrylics so fumes have never been a problem. You will love the airbrush it makes a world of difference in your models...right up there with Micro-sol & -set
Thanks Mike.

Had a coup!e of goes with no real success, have more time tomorrow so going to put some practice in

In my opinion, it's better to practice on a material that is similar in texture to the surface of the model you are going to paint. Styrofoam or paper won't accept the spray the same as a hard, smooth styrene surface will and you may find that a combination of thinner/paint ratio and pressure works well on one but not the other. An old model is ideal but, if you don't have one, you can take one from the stash and use the inner surfaces of the wings which won't be seen once put together.
I Have an old 1/72 Beaufighter i am using to practice on Andy

Looking forward to it Karl. I agree with Andy. I use an old Harvard to test distance and coverage before I start to spray. With any left over paint I try my hand a mottles and fine paint lines. The last two are a work in progress but slowly building up confidence to try something Luftwaffy.

I actually started out spraying plain water onto brown cardboard. Then I added food color to the water and sprayed cardboard and paper. Next came the Styrofoam cartons and some Testors acrylic paints in colors I'd never use that came in a set. My last practice was on hard plastic take home boxes that one restaurant uses (Red Lobster). Took about a month before I was brave enough to spray an actual model.

Getting there i think, still some practice needed but am pretty happy :lol:

IMG_20171016_110954680.jpg

IMG_20171016_111056515.jpg

That looks OK mate. Maybe a second, light coat, when the first is fully dry, mainly on the wing roots and underside.
Yep i need to go over the under sides again, but depending on where the green goes i might do it with that.

Thanks mate, seems i was using too much air pressure, o ce i got it down i found things much easier :lol:

I usually adjust mine so that I have 20psi when spraying though all airbrushes and nozzle combinations are different. Thinning the paint to the "what works" viscosity is another "by guess and by golly" judgement call

Users who are viewing this thread

Back