>> 1/48 XP-55 Ascender - Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Czech Model XP-55 Ascender
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: None, kit has vac canopy and plenty of resin by True Details

The Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender prototype fighter built to meet the USAAC proposal R-40C of November 1939 for "Aircraft with improved performance, armament and pilot visibility over existing fighters allowing for unconventional aircraft designs" and was in competition with the Vultee XP-54 and Northrop XP-56, none of which saw production.

One full scale steel tube & fabric flying model was built to prove the concept before the three Ascender s prototypes were constructed. They were sometimes sarcastically known as the "Ass-ender" because of their pusher configuration.

Performance of the XP-55 was inferior to that of more conventional fighter aircraft already in service and was not altogether stable. None were produced.

The first prototype went out of control during stall testing and crashed, the pilot parachuting to safety.

The third prototype was doing a low altitude roll at during a war bond air show at Wright Field, Dayton Ohio (The present location of the National Museum of the United States Air Force) when it crashed into the ground inverted, killing the pilot and four people on the ground.

The second prototype has been restored and is currently on display at The Air Zoo in Kalamazoo Michigan.

1.gif

2.jpg

3.jpg

The full scale steel tube & fabric flying model
4.jpg

The third prototype after the crash
5.jpg

The second prototype shortly after restoration
6.jpg
7.jpg

I've been fascinated with these strange WWII prototype fighters since I saw them in Lloyd S. Jones U.S. Fighters when I was in junior high. I also have the Czech Models XP-56 Black Bullet in the stash I'd like to get around to in this group build but that would be three kits going and would be pushing it.
I'll post pictures of the kit when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
Great subject choice Glenn. It's going to be good to see some more unusual types in this GB, rather than the usual parade of '109's, P-51's etc, not that there's anything wrong with those of course !

Looks like you were straining at the leash for this GB Glenn. An excellent candidate.
I love the weird aircraft and have been waiting for this group build for a long time. I've got about ten kits I'd like to do . I might try for 4 (wishful thinking). Hopefully I'll get 3 in so I better jump right in to it!
I'll be cutting parts off the sprues as soon as I get home from work. tonight.

The Czech Model kit is a limited run kit with plenty of resin parts by True Details. Most of the ejection molded plastic parts have flash that will have to be cleaned up and the detail looks a bit soft. There are two vac canopies just in case and the clear plastic has yellowed somewhat but I don't think it will be that noticeable once installed. The decals look alright but give you four of the sane serials, all 278846, so I guess I'll be building the second prot type.

All in all about what you should expect with a limited run kit.

First the plastic parts, vac canopies and decals

XP-55.jpg
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

I did some basic painting on the cockpit parts but pictures will have to wait until I get back the later half of next week. I did manage to drop one of the wheels off the work bench and loose it. Hopefully I'll find it when I get back

Here's the pic of the preliminary painting of the cockpit parts. Still need some detail painting and a wash

P5112462.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back