1/48 Hawker Hurricane Kit Recommendation?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Hey, All,
Not sure if this is the proper place to post the question...... please let me know if not and just where I should have posted it. I am looking for a 1/48 scale Hurricane (yeah, I am on a BoB buying binge). Can anyone recommend a SOLID kit? I know the Tamiya is probably a "shake the box" kinda kit. But, how is the Italeri? Is it really worth the added cost? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for the help you all!

Dale

The Tamiya and Italeri Hurricane Mk1 kits are the same kit. A little on the high side, price wise, but apparently very good. Karl (Rochie) has one, so perhaps he can chip in.
Other alternatives are the Hasegawa kit, currently out of production, the Airfix kit, a release from the late 1970s, fairly basic, but not bad (built a few in my time), or the Ark Models offering, which seems to be a mix of Italeri and Airfix.
If you want detail, I'd go with the Italeri/Tamiya, if you want a straightforward representation of a BoB period Hurricane, then the Airfix kit is still reasonable, and was probably the best when first released. This kit also comes with two different props and two sets of BoB decals.
Here's a pic of one of mine, built OOB, apart from scratch-built cockpit detail and (early) radio mast, hand-painted codes.

Attachments

• BoB Hurri build 179.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 179.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 384
  • BoB Hurri build 180.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 180.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 269
Hey, Airframes,
Very nice job on the kit. I built quite a few Airfix kits in my early days in the mid to late 70s. I took a look at the Airfix kit earlier this month at my local hobby store. I was a little disappointed in it after a couple of Tamiya kits. I am just trying to decide of the Italeri kit is worth the extra $$. It sure does have plenty of marking options and a small PE fret. However, at about $20-25 more than the Tamiya..... things that make you go "mmmmmmmmmmm".
Thanks for the input and taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it.
Dale

Heck, if the Italeri kit is that much more than the Tamiya, get the Tamiya - it's the same mould! There's a lot of mould sharing going on, and the Tamiya kit even has a Italeri logo on the box!

Hey, Airframe,
Well, I guess I am living right or something. I stopped into one of our chain hobby stores (general hobbies) today on the way home. I had their weekly web 40% off coupon. I was going to price an iwata airbrush..... Well, I walk down the aisle and find an Italeri Hurricane marked at $49.95. Hmmmm, 40% off put me at $29.95 plus tax. It was the ONLY time I have seen any Italeri on their shelves. Needless to say, there is no longer an Italeri kit on the shelf any longer. Overall impression after reviewing the box is it is darned nice kit. I think I will work on this one over the Christmas break from work.
Dale

Hey, Rochi,
The Italeri is £6-7 cheaper?! Whoa.... where is my currency converter widget and I need to check on shipping costs!
Dale

Cos it's got that flashy Tamiya label, and a couple of ICM figures which they probably contacted for a regular supply of suchi and rice .... heck, even Dick Turpin and Jesse James wore masks!!

The Hasegawa kit is still the one to beat, but the rear internal shapes of the cockpit accomodates the thicker-than-real canopy plastic, so it is best left closed if without additional work, if my understanding is right.

I never found the the rear fuselage fabric effect of the Hasegawa excessive under paint.

Note the new Italeri's wheel wheels are misplaced on the wings, being too far back or forward by quite a large amount. That pretty much elliminates the Italeri kit from contention for me... Hasegawa is correct in that respect.

Gaston

I'm an engine guy, so I heard the Italeri has an engine in the set, if the Hasegawa is without one, then go Italeri :D spruce up that engine and make her look grand :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back