1/48 Hobbycraft Junkers 88 S

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ohm-men

Senior Airman
Jan 11, 2014
Antwerp
Another one from the cabinet. Build many moons ago. THis kit was bought at a model show simply because I never saw the "S" variant of the Ju 88 before. After purchasing some refference books, I soon realized how bad this Hobbycraft kit is.
I won't go into the details, but there is a LOT wrong with this kit. Some things could be rectified, other not...
Worst is the overall shape of the fuselage, it's too sqaure and totally misses the complex shape of the aircraft. The Dragon/Revell/Pro Modeller kit is much, much more accurate.

I'd say this is one of the the worser Hobbycraft offerings and best avoided, if you want a somewhat accurate Ju-88.

I wanted to do one of the Kit's decal options, but both were wrong, as these were for a Ju 88 T variant.
So after checking a few books I went with an airplane of 1./F123 (fernaufklarungsgruppe) based in Italy at the end of 1944.
This aircraft suposedly wore a splinter scheme of RLM 80/81 over 76. Which I hope would make the model look less worse.

I replaced the canopy with a Falcon offering and added a few details from leftover Dragon Ju 88 parts to make something of it. the whole interiour was also replaced with Dragon bits and so were the exhausts for the BMW engines.
Props given with the kit were for the early A-1 variant and therefor useless, luckily I had some correct broad paddle props in the spare box for this one.

This is a kit I will never build again. It should be avoided like the plague imho.

DSCF3149.JPG

DSCF3150.JPG

DSCF3151.JPG

DSCF3152.JPG

DSCF3153.JPG

DSCF3154.JPG

Last edited:
Great looking model and advice taken. I've been tempted to buy the kit several times. With regards to your remarks on another build, I hope this helps. I use a photo editor call Paint.net, basic and easy to use and free to download. I took your first photo from above and resized it to about 800x600...

jerry.JPG

...from the ToolBar, select the Adjustment drop box and click "Brightness/Contrast...

jerry3.jpg

...knowing the color of the cutting mat, use the sliders until you match the mat...

jerry1.JPG

...close enough...

jerry2.JPG

Everyone uses their own photo editor and I'm assuming they all work in a similar fashion. I hope this helps.

Geo

Nicely done, and I know what you mean about overall shape. I converted their Ju-88A4 to an A5 version about 25 years ago, and the 'square' fuselage, although 'passable', just looks wrong !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back