1:48 Hurricane IIC - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sgt-schultz.jpg

With my Ventura done I debated starting another twin aircraft for that build but then I remembered I had this little one tucked away and awaiting completion. In addition, my wife and I are heading to Guatemala on February 2nd to do some mission work at an orphange there so I doubt I would have time to complete the twin engined build.

Anyhow, bottom side is painted, landing gear is ready to be installed as is the prop and spinner. I am hoping to get to the bench today and pluck away at this some more.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

A few touch ups required but that is it for now.

Jeff

I am looking at the photos put up by Wurger in another post regarding these striped Hurricanes and I cannot tell if the leading edge of the wing between the nav lights and the landing lights are painted yellow. Would they have been this late in the war or was that an earlier time frame set of markings.

Jeff

These enlarged two shots of the Air Dispatch Letter Service Hurricane that quite clearly show that the leading wing edges were of the yellow

Air Dispatch Letter Service 1a.jpg

Air Dispatch Letter Service 2a.jpg

Last edited:
These enlarged two shots of the Air Dispatch Letter Service Hurricane that quite clearly show that the leading wing edges were of the yellow

They would be, because the aircraft would originally have been finished in the Day Fighter Scheme of which the yellow leading edge stripes and Sky fuselage band were required elements (largely over painted by the 'invasion stripes along with the serial number, as seen in the photos above)

air-dispatch-letter-service-1a-jpg.362860.jpg

The back of the Sky fuselage band is clearly visible on both sides behind the 'invasion stripes'.The white of the 'invasion stripes' has worn away to reveal more of the Sky fuselage band beneath, most noticeably towards the bottom of the fuselage side on this, the port side.

Cheers

Steve

It's in the DFS, though this time they have not over painted the serial number with the Distinctive Markings/invasion stripes, revealing more of the Sky band. It's certain that it would have had yellow leading edge stripes. That aircraft went to No.1686 (Bomber Defence) Training Flight, part of No.83 OTU, but would still have retained its standard DFS camouflage. You'll notice that the cannon have been removed. The four Hurricanes of the Training Flight were used to train the bomber crews, not shoot them down :)
Cheers
Steve

I'll just add that the reason aircraft like that above received the Distinctive Markings prior to D-Day, when they most certainly weren't going anywhere near Normandy is two fold.
First, the markings were to be applied to all fighters (among other classes of aircraft), as specified in Operational Memorandum No.23.
Second, the markings were, explicitly, not just to identify aircraft as friendly to naval and ground forces, but also to other friendly aircraft. If fighters at OTUs and similar UK based units had not worn the markings they would have been exceptional and hence vulnerable to misidentification.
Cheers
Steve

Closer.........

IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

Another question...behind the cockpit on the dorsal of the aircraft there is a navigation light. What colour should it be?

Thanks

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back