1/48 Mosquito B Mk IV - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I first came onto the forum, someone suggested using a Fan brush, oil painting brush to app;y Future and it's my method of coating.

HINTS:
1. the smaller, and the fewer bristles the better.
2. I put a bit in a flat dish.
3. I just dip the tips of the brush in the edge of the puddle.
4. I work from the center of the wings.... fuselage, outwards in thin coats.
5. first coat seals, second gives a nice gloss.

WATCH for any small puddles tho, it turns a muddy color.

My 2 cents worth.

An impressive Mossie.
I built the same this year. Didn´t you have problems with the fixing of the cockpitsection in the front fuselage?
At my Mossie the complete cockpit was about 2mm to big in the diameter

Yes, I do recall having to file the floor down a bit but it was not too bad.

As promised, here are some pictures of the current state of the model. A panel wash was used in the various access panels and a flat coat has been applied. Fairly happy with the result.

As for that busted tail wheel, I fashioned a new fork out of plastic card that I bent and laminated.

This was then cut and shaped to resemble the piece that went missing and glued to the wheel.

Reinforcing is needed and I've used a piece of copper wire. This piece conveniently replicates an actual damping piston and will strengthen the assembly.

And it's now attached to the model with gobs of CA awaiting paint.

Neat fix there Andy. And 'gobs' - I take it that's a technical term, for the precise measurement, beyond the realms of the Metric system, for the application of claggy stuff?

'Gobs', haven't heard that expression in a long time but I know what you mean. Nicely fixed tai wheel Andy and the machine is looking good.

Gobs of thanks guys. It's now fiddley bit time. The underside received the landing gear doors, bomb bay doors, crew hatch, and towed aerial tube.

Left to do in these areas: add the jack rods to the bomb bay doors, retraction wires to the landing gear doors, paint the signal lights near the rear fuselage, and add the landing light lenses. On yeah, and the bug screens on the engine intakes.

Meanwhile, up top, I can't remember where I read it but I do remember a reference saying that, on many Mosquitos, the panel to which the antenna mast was attached was bare aluminum and I recall seeing some pictures to support this. I decided I would replicate this to break up the otherwise very clean lines of the top surface.

Getting close to finishing this one now. Thanks for your continued interest.

Last edited:
Thanks very much my friends. I've now completed the bomb bay with the addition of the brackets and jacks for the doors. The jacks are made of solder and the brackets are the kit parts.

Users who are viewing this thread