1/48 Mosquito B Mk IV - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Two-and-a-half months late but here are a series of finished pictures nonetheless. Thanks to everyone who followed the build and commented and especially to those who helped with tips, references, and encouragement.

13111713.jpg

13111714.jpg

13111715.jpg

13111716.jpg

13111718.jpg

13111719.jpg

13111720.jpg

13111721.jpg

13111722.jpg

13111706.jpg

13111707.jpg

13111708.jpg

13111709.jpg

13111710.jpg

13111711.jpg

13111712.jpg

13111717.jpg

Thanks a kit Glenn. I appreciate that. This one will likely go into one of the local contests next year and I may do a bit more grime work around the engine on the undersides. There are exhaust stains but they're obviously hard to see against the black background.

Maybe add a very light dusting of a pinkish grey to the exhaust staining Andy? Also, if it's going for competition, I'll check the canopy details for you. I'm fairly sure the B.IV had a central frame on the escape hatch panel.

Thanks guys.

Terry, I think you are correct on the frame down the center of the emergency escape hatch. Just not sure if it's an interior frame with glass right across the top or if it's separate panes.

I agree in the exhaust stains. I bit of light grey should do the trick, in addition to various other stains around the access panels.

I'm fairly sure it's a 'full' frame, with separate Perspex panels either side Andy. But I'll double check and let you know.
The design changed slightly with later Marks, with the frame being different, and then, I think, removed. Certainly the later PR versions had the addition of the 'bubble' on top, for example, and the position of Very pistol and 'knock out' panels varied too. But it's a simple 'fix', wherever the frame is/was.
Just thought - I have a spare bomber canopy from the old Monogram kit, moulded in two halves, with the observation blisters nicely done, and the joint is covered by the 'frame' mouldings. If you think you might want to remove your canopy, it's yours, just shout. (I can hear the result from here -"What!? Remove the canopy after all that hard work - **** off!!")

**** off! :lol:

But seriously, I do appreciate the help. I'd prefer adding a frame by painting some scotch tape and sticking it to the canopy I have. I seriously doubt that a canopy from a different kit will fit well.

No problem Andy. I've stuck a note on my desk, to remind me to check the canopy frame tomorrow. Going to try to get some kip - again! Keep waking up every 30 minutes due to discomfort and slight pain, bl**dy nuisance!

No hurry Terry. I did flip quickly through the material you sent me a while back and nothing jumped out. However the "scrap views" in the back of the SAM datafile shows a centerline frame in the top view.

Yep. It was a continuation of the central, rear section frame. The internal support was tubular, or 'half round', rivetted to the exterior 'flat' frame, the same width and style as the rear central frame, with a 'Perspex' panel each side. The locking/release latch was central, at the front, and there was normally a 'knock out' panel at the front of the starboard 'Perspex' panel.
The internal tube/'half round' section was approximately half the width of the external, 'flat' frame, so you'd get away with painting a piece of clear tape Cockpit Grey Green, followed by the exterior camouflage colour, placed central on the panel. The 'knock out' panel, if you wanted it, could be scribed into the clear plastic.
NOTE: If referring to the SAM Guide on the 'Mossie', be aware there are quite a number of errors, particularly with photo captions !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back