1/48 P-38F-15-LO – Mediterranean Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That resin cowl looks rather good! Bravo on that fix! The IP looks great too... the pen work is excellent!

Thanks guys. Terry, I suspect you're right on the hardener. Despite my efforts to measure out equal parts, it seems it was not enough and there is little hope of the casting getting any harder.

Thanks guys. Terry, I suspect you're right on the hardener. Despite my efforts to measure out equal parts, it seems it was not enough and there is little hope of the casting getting any harder.

That was my thoughts Andy.I had to mold some pieces for a 1/32 Daimler some years back and parts were ready the same day.

Thanks guys. Wayne, I'm not so sure that everything I need to do on this one will be done in "short order" but I continue to plug away. The previously posted areas continue to receive seemingly endless cycles of filing/sanding/filling/priming/smoothing and I'm still not there but I've never been closer....

Today I attended to another issue with this kit, namely the fact that the back end of the radiator boxes are incorrectly shaped for the E and F model. The aerodynamic fairings on the exit shown in the pic below should not be there as these showed up on later models.

15022001.jpg

The fairings were cut off, the surface on the boom was blended in with a file, then sanded, the edges of the box were thinned with an oval jeweler's file, the incorrect panel lines filled in, sanded, and then new panel lines were added.

15022004.jpg

Then it was on to the nose. More fit issues. It seems to never stop. I had glued the nose halves together a few days ago and added 25 grams of lead weights before gluing the nose to the fuselage and huge steps at the joints and a gap near the windscreen now need to be dealt with.

15022002.jpg

I did a lot of rough filing before adding some putty, which is now curing.

15022003.jpg

At the rate I'm going here guys, there's no way that I will get this build done before the GB deadline so I'll throw in the towel as I don't want to rush this. I will, however, continue it on a priority basis as the two Mustangs for GB 25 should go together reasonably quickly.

Last edited:
I think that's the worst thing to deal with... a joint with a step! Good luck on the sanding Andy... fit problems have a way of either inspiring work or sucking life out of a project!

Sanded, primed, sanded again, now primed once again and drying.......

If all goes well this time, panel lines will be scribed in tomorrow, then a final prime coat. Pics then.

Thanks again guys, Looking forward to see this one ride off into the sunset.

So, where are we at. What can I say but that there've been LOTS of putty/sand/prime/sand/scribe cycles to get to the stage below and I'm still not there. Getting closer though and I've resigned myself to accept this one as being a failed experiment with the resin. Having not hardended enough, it's not accepting any scribing and rivet punching. The lines just close up again as do the rivet holes so this one will go on the back of the shelf if I leave it as is. I can't really get my head around scrapping the resin part and starting over, though that's what really ought to be done. In addition, the scribing is being done over putty, which rarely goes well so you'll still see paint touch ups that are yet to be smoothed out in the pics below.

15022504.jpg
15022501.jpg
15022502.jpg
15022503.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back