1:48 P-51D by Tamiya 44-13410 LOU IV (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert, now that you explain it, it is practical and beneficial to apply the primer coat and from there work with sandpaper and putty as required. After that it is clearer to see the desired result by the same signals of the primer residue.
There will be models and types of molds that are more related to use this technique.

Saludos y sigo atento al proceso :thumbup:

So been awhile but work has progressed. Seat now has the braces, and I have had several more rounds of sanding and touch ups. Had some shrinkage occur near the nose just forward of the cockpit. So sanded and then filled with CA glue and sanded some more. Also had a LOT of scratches that a lite coat of primer showed up, so worked on those as well.

IMG_0010.JPG

These next photos show the scratches revealed by the new primer coat. As well as the bit of shrinkage I found.

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

Now some pics of the remedial work.

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

Still working on the scratches, starting some wet sanding and of course there is some re-scribing to do on the tail planes. But overall it is coming along. Taking my time and trying to get all the fix it stuff done. Still have to re-paint the wheel wells but that is a little farther down the road.

Thanks for stopping by!

Great to see your work again. It's best to take your time through this stage Robert. Especially if you are going for a NMF finish, which can be unforgiving when it comes to revealing the smallest of surface irregularities.

Thanks all! And yes indeed, learned the hard way (don't we all) about surface imperfections showing up so vividly on NMF jobs. But I also find it relaxing now to work on the sanding and go slow and steady. As I learn more I find I really enjoy the process. Not the fastest turtle in the race but I am enjoying the trip!

Good work Robert, and taking it slow and steady, checking and double checking, is the way to go. An hour or three now, can save a week of work and disappointment later, with a NMF project.
As for sanding, I think it's a state of mind thing - it's OK when it's creative, and you can see, and feel a neat, smooth result evolving from a modification or conversion area that needs sanding, which can be very satisfying.
But enjoyable ?
Yep - you're weird !!

I am indeed! Funny thing, have heard the advice before and never, until recently, applied it. You know how folks say let the sander do the work, don't press down? Well finally tried it and dang if it does not work wonders! Far fewer scratches, no gouges, and less collateral damage which is why I hated sanding with a passion before! Also acquired some decent sanding sticks from both UMP and Flory Models both UK companies. Had them for awhile but was not using them properly. Those pesky "basic" modeling skills ya know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back