1/48 P-61 Black Widow Build feb 2011

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I assembled the other landing assemblies and I did not like how bare the landing pieces looked. I had looked at some pictures on-line and I saw that there should be some brake lines. the break likes were rubber. so i figured, what the heck. lets put a break line on there.

I used a small gauge metal wire and wrapped it around the strut.. I made a small hole next to the molded break line and glued it.

162645-brake-line.JPG

I then painted the wire 'rubber' color once the glue was dry.

162640-painted-brake-line.JPG

now the strut does not look as bare.

Last edited:
I made some small plastic tabs to attach the rudders to the back of the pods. I had to fill-in the pods and rudders with putty, because where I separated them there is a huge gap.

Here is a picture of how the tabs that I made were glued to the pods and how the rudder fits on them.. took some trial and error, and a lot of careful sanding, but it worked.

162646-rudder-fit.JPG

Here is a picture of how I had to fill the rudder with putty.

162642-rudder-putty-filler.JPG

so that it where I'm at so far.. My son is eager for me to finish this thing and start helping him with his aircraft carriers and battleships. Those should be 'alot' of fun. Most of the models are in scal 1/350, so I think for those I will be ordering detail kits rather than making things from scratch.

Oh and this weekend was a good weekend. While I was in Saint Louis I purchased a couple of models and had the store ship them to me. They arrived saturday.. oh happy days!

162647-model-stash.JPG

I don't know where the heck we are going to put the B-29!

hope everyone is doing well!

art

I am really behind on updating this thread but let me give you a sneak preview..

Revell should in say in the very first page that this p-61 model is very 'rear heavy' and that preparations should be taken to add weight to the front of the plane during assembly.

I am having to take plane apart by cutting and breaking pieces off to try and load it with weights in the front.. pics to come soon. I need to resize them.

Greetings Capoeta... I just found your thread and am here to help as best I can. I have built this beast a few times and know some things that might help you. :)

Excellet job on those engines. The manufacturers knew that the plane would be tail heavy. With the clear parts there is a stick like item that is suppose to plug into the rear part of the plane to keep it from sitting.

thank you for the suggestion and offer for help night fighter..

it is funny you should mention the clear stick part. I had already cut a piece of clear spruce as a last resort.

i used placed as many lead fishing weights on the front part of the place to try and balance it, but it did not work. unfortunately I have made alot of damage on the plane trying to get weight in the front. in the end I will likely have to go with your suggestion.

Whatever I do, I need to do it quickly because I plan on submitting this model to a local contest on April 16th. nothing big, mostly just for fun.

hope to post update soon.

I realize this is almost a year too late, but there is a way to fix the tail sitting problem without disassembling the plane and adding lead. I did an article for it on my website scale modelers handbook where I am doing a build article on the Black Widow.

I read your article, that's a good idea if you are going to use the original wheels. If you are putting your plane in a diorama you could also attach a wire or thread to the bottom of the front wheel and pull it through your base. Attach it to something on the opposite side and the problem is solved without the use of lead. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back