1/48 PE

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DarrellC

Airman
Jan 30, 2013
Atlanta, GA
OK, so how do you guys deal with 1/48 PE throttle controls? On the B-25, they are TINY. I guess most of you are a lot younger, have better eyes and your hands are steadier.

I wish I would be a lot younger.... therefore I don't use these PE parts. Just I make them from scratch. :lol:

Nope. We are pretty much all old here.
I use a magnifying glass attached to a base for seeing, and then I brace my hands (or rather wrist) on the edge of the bench to keep steady.
Get a piece of masking tape and place it under the P.E fret, sticky side up, so the part doesn't go on a trip. I also use a bit of old marble top for a clean cutting surface.
Hope this helps!

Oh.. I have forgotten.. tweezers, tweezers ... tweezers and some of plasticine. Oooo ...and the magnifying glass with a small light. Thank heavan my hands are still steady rather. Even after a nice party.

Last edited:
If 55 is a lot younger...yikes. My P.E. is limited to seatbelts though I do have a cockpit set for an FW190F-8. I have 2.5x reading glasses and magnifying glass on a base as well as one mounted in a circular fluorescent lamp. Paul's ↑ other tips are great too.

Geo

Forgot(being old) I use a bit of glue from a Uhu stick on a toothpick, gently touch it to the P.E. part so that it becomes attached. Add crazy glue to the part and place it where you want.

Last edited:
If 55 is a lot younger...yikes. My P.E. is limited to seatbelts though I do have a cockpit set for an FW190F-8. I have 2.5x reading glasses and magnifying glass on a base as well as one mounted in a circular fluorescent lamp. Paul's ↑ other tips are great too.
Yeah you are still a pup. I'm 66
Geo

Forgot(being old) I use a bit of glue from a Uhu stick on a toothpick, gently touch it to the P.E. part so that it becomes attached. Add crazy glue to the part and place it where you want.

What's a uhu stick?

OK, looked up Uhu Stic. Do you mean you stick the pe to a toothpick using the Uhu? then CA glue it in place? Confused??

01172X.jpg

One little tube will last the rest of my life;

Geo

Sorry about that, sometimes the thoughts don't transfer through the keyboard properly. I put a bit of Uhu on the end of the toothpick and stick the P.E. part to this. Then I add crazy glue to the part and gently hold the P.E. part in its place until it sets. I find this method easier to use than tweezers as I have a habit of launching the part into places unknown using said tweezers.

Last edited:
View attachment 238714 One little tube will last the rest of my life; Geo
Sorry about that, sometimes the thoughts don't transfer through the keyboard properly. I put a bit of Uhu on the end of the toothpick and stick the P.E. part to this. Then I add crazy glue to the part and gently hold the P.E. part in its place until it sets. I find this method easier to use than tweezers as I have a habit of launching the part into places unknown using said tweezers.

Now That is a good idea????? Am so glad this question was asked......

My 2cents. I wear corrective glasses, then put a pair of 4x store bought ones behind them on me big nose.
I also have a mag flouro lamp on my bench for extra close.

Good one Geo, I'll have to give that a try!

Adding to all of what you have been privy to, tweezers, UHU, tape, magnifier etc, I also drill a small but shallow receiver hole for the PE part using a #84 drill. Helps to hold the little bleeder in place while the glue sets.

For handling you should. But sometimes you have to put together a part that consists of a couple of pieces. In the case I use a piece of plasticine stuck to a glass tile or just something flat and stable. All pieces of the part are pressed a little bit into the plasticine and then it is enough to apply a drop of CA glue to join them all toghether. Of course there are other ways for that too. If you need to attach a PE part to a plastic one you can use either tweezers or a toothpick like above. The only tip I would like to share with you is that you have to pay your attention on how much of a CA glue is applied. Usually it is enough to apply a very very small drop. For a such applying I use a steel needle.

I tend to use a PVA glue for the really small parts. It dries in about 15 minutes and gives me time to ensure it is aligned. Dries clear and is strong (at least so far). The particular brand I use is Gator Glue.
I use an illuminated magnifying lamp to actually see those small buggers. I use the upside down tape idea to prevent the inadvertent launches into the land of shag. I also have a couple of 4 x 4 ceramic tiles in white and/or black I use to cut and fold on.
I will say that I have a love/hate thing going with these damned PEs things. Love the look and the detail they offer. HATE working with those small parts.
Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back