1/48 Revell Ju-87D...1st build after 30+ years

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is really helpful...and fascinating. I'm with George, an internet search makes it appear that RLM02 and RAL7027 were very similar. Especially when you look at the different model paints that purport to be RAL 7027, the two look virtually identical. The color palettes you shared make the distinctions pretty clear. Thank you. And thanks for the pictures...those are fantastic. It looks like the top picture is a D-5 and the bottom is a B model...so the bottom shows a transitional period in probably 1942-43 where the bomb colors were changing and the top, 1943 or later where they'd completely made the change. As a modeler, that gives a lot of options for unique flavor which is always cool.

One more question...George's reference plus several of the pictures mention and show a yellow line on the tail cone section. The lines appear to be different thicknesses...so I don't know if the particular load determined that or if it was just a random thing depending on factory or whatever (since it does mention that a yellow ship stamp meant a particular anti-shipping load). I also wasn't sure if the yellow line was on all four "sides" of the tail cone or on one or more particular sides?

The single yellow longitudinal stripes (RAL 1006) were applied in each quarter of the tail section, between the fins. Such a stripe was 40 mm wide in case of the SC 50, SC 250 or SC 500 bombs, but it could also be trapezoid in shape, getting narrower together with the tail cone. It could be found on e.g. SC 1800 bombs. However the bombs of the Dark Grey colour especially at the early stage of the war could be without any markings or could have the tails painted overally instead of strips that appeared about 1941.1942.

Here is a pic with these strips in each quarter seen.

Last edited:

40mm...so in 1/48 scale about 1/32" of an inch or 0.8mm. I definitely would have guessed thicker than that based on the drawings. Looks like the sandgrau bomb with the D-5 in the picture above may have a yellow stripe around the top of the cone as well as down the side? Though guessing the color from a B&W photo is always hazardous.

Oooohhh....nice! I was already trying to figure out how I was going to accomplish those stripes. I have some "make your own" decal sheets that I got a few years ago when I very briefly thought I was getting back into modeling...but have never since had the opportunity to use them (or been brave enough to try). I see that very set available on ebay here in the US so that'll solve that. Thanks for the tip!

I have to make my own decals for my current GB using either the Blockschrift für Flugzeuge or Alte din 1451 Mittelschrift. I was looking for the stencil version of these for your bombs but I couldn't find one, found the decals instead

I have to make my own decals for my current GB using either the Blockschrift für Flugzeuge or Alte din 1451 Mittelschrift. I was looking for the stencil version of these for your bombs but I couldn't find one, found the decals instead
Lucky for me! How easy are the "make your own" decals to use? Does the setting solution and solvent work pretty much the same way or do you have to do something special with them? I've read that you're supposed to paint on some decal film solution or spray with a clear acrylic before using them...the latter option making me wonder how that would work.

fanghawk,

With Andy, George, and Wurger guiding you along with their astounding ability to come up with reference material and their invaluable input, you can't go wrong. Obviously, to me, you already possess superior talent in this delightful hobby so I'll be lurking in the shadows trying to pick up tidbits of helpful information for when I get around to building the only Stuka I have in my stash.

Wurger,

That's such a great picture of the men snoozing on the Hermann!

And a shot of the SC 500 and SC 250 bombs. The SC 250 bomb racked to the Bf 109E in the second pic seems to have the tail of a different colour than the bomb body. But the yellow strip is visible too.

Very nice Stuka build you have here fanghawk. I would even say exceptional given your prior hiatus to the hobby!

Interesting info on Luftwaffe ordinance posted here. I have not yet built a Luftwaffe aircraft with bombs being carried so have never looked into nor knew about the various painting regulations. Cool stuff!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread