1/48 SANGER Yokosuka P1Y GINGA "Frances" bomber vacu kit review

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ohm-men

Senior Airman
Jan 11, 2014
Antwerp
Hi All,

So I just purchased the Sanger Yokosuka P1Y Ginga also known as "Frances".
I knew what I was in for when I ordered this kit, so I was not in for a nasty surprise.
The Sanger/Contrail kits are rather crude vacu kits which offer the modeller just the basics of certain aircraft overlooked by other manufacturors in the 1/48th scale.

So what did I get you wonder. Well, not much.

Kit Contents

Kit is packed in a simple bag which contains all the parts

DSCF2444.JPG

First, a A3 single printed 3 vieuw drawing and some text explaning how to build a vacu aircraft kit.

DSCF2445.JPG

Second, one rather large sheet holding the main parts of the kit, Fuselage, Wings, Tailplanes, engine nacelles and some smaller parts like a set of spinners and air intakes for the engines.
The Styrene used for the ain parts seams to be of a different kind of styrene then that of my Sanger Ki-67 Hyuru/Peggy kit. The Yokosuka kit seams to have a less soft styrene.
The detail on these parts is very, very sparse. No panel lines are given. No real indication of where the wheel bay doors are located.
There are no enginese included, so the modeller has to come up with these parts himself.

DSCF2446.JPG

Third, cast metal parts. These include seats (of the wrong shape. The Ginga had bucket seats of a rather special shape) a control yoke (also of dubious shape)
9 prop blades, 2 spiners of different shape then those on the Styrene sheet. 2 main landing gear wheels (4 halves),2 main wheel legs, a tailwheel, a DF loop and a machine gun (which looks like a Army type 97 model, based on a British design) The "Frances" used later type "Navy" machine guns (based on a German design). So the included gun has to be replaced as well. Though the Type 97 is nidely representented and can be used for another project.

Forth, 3 clear parts. 2 parts for the nose and 1 main canopy (no spares are given)

Fifth, 2 decal sheets containing markings for just 1 aircraift of the "2nd Hikotai, 302 Kokutai.
These contain 4 wing Hiromanu's and 2 fuselage Hiromanu's + 2 black outlines for the fuselage (The modeler must paint the white background cirkel for this hiromanu himself)
The Decals look nicer then those given with my Ki-67 kit.

DSCF2447.JPG

Conclusion

Again a kit aimed at the Die Hard modeller who's into IJNA aircraft and has a lot of modelling expirience.
This kit will prove another hard to crack nut, but the basics are there. One MUST buy/find as much as possible reference material to build this kit.
Though at a £ 38,- price tag (incl. Shipping) I guess one should expect a bit more. Though I'm not complaining as I knew what I was buying.

But, there is a superb 1/33 Paper Plane Model availble online which is very complete. I managed to scale it down to 1/48.
I know this model will serve as a base for my Sanger kit once I start building this gem.

Though there are rumours that Hasegawa might be isuing a 1/48 Ginga in the future...So there is still hope for an injection moulded kit of this great IJNA late war bomber...But until then the Sanger Yokosuka P1Y Ginga/Frances is the only 1/48 game in town!!!

And I must add that although the Sanger website might apear a bit "old school" to today's standards, ordering from Sanger is actually a breeze.
Shipping was super fast and the kit arrived in 5 days. And I promply recieved an e-mail after the kit was shipped and on it way.
And Gerad J Elliot was kind enough to answer my question about this kit prior of buying it.

Last edited:
You are welcome! :)

Anyway, just checked the kits contents against the reference material I have and I must say first impressions are ok. (The dimensions of the scaled down paper model seam rather close)
The overall look of the "Frances" is there.

Fuselage seams to have the correct shape overall. Though the glass nose is wrong. The tapper of the nose is too blunt on the Sanger kit. (Therefore the clear nose parts are unusable, I will have to make a new mould for the nose) the step on the cockpit and the overall shape of this clear part is also not correct. For some reason Sanger made a "step" on the forward piece of the cockpit clear part that is simply not there. Also the forward windscreen seams to be to sharp and wide when compared to the real thing.:!: (So, yup...another new mould will have to be made.)
But on both accounts, the paper model parts will come to the resque!

There is no interior in this kit. No floors, bulkhead or anything (aside from the cast metal pieces mentioned) So everything has to be scratch build. Though this is not a bad thing.
I'm also happy to report there is no location for the cockpit on the fuselage. This is good as I don't have to fill or replace faulty openings or panel lines.

The Decal option is also wrong. The 3 should be a reversed "E" instead. And the option is for the 2nd Kokutai of the 302 Naval Group/Japan 1945.
(302 Naval Group decal options for this model are included in one version of a Hasegawa 1/72nd offering, though with different aircraft numbers)
These aircraft had radar antenna's that are not mentioned on the Sanger instructions. 302 Naval Group was a home defense group. And some aircraft had oblique firing canons installed. (also not mentioned in the Sanger instructions)

Again, I'm not sure which version Sanger gives you in their P1Y Ginga kit. There were two versions which had different engines. Research of the 302 Naval Group' aircraft will hopefully reveal which version I have to build.

But I wil first struggle further with the Ki-67. The Frances will be an easier build overall I think/Hope...:?:

Last edited:
Good review, thanks for posting.
From what I've seen (and I'll admit it's not much) those kits actually made by Sanger are better overall than those they acquired from Contrail, and include most of the detail parts required, such as engines, props, wheels etc, most of these being white metal or sometimes resin. But then, of course, the original Contrail designs are quite old now, many dating back forty years.

Love this Bird....thanks for the review, which aircraft you doing, I have the 302ku photo album Book if you need some reference....

Love this Bird....thanks for the review, which aircraft you doing, I have the 302ku photo album Book if you need some reference....

Thank you! I'd like to take your offer on the 302Ku photo's :)
I'm not sure yet. Most likely a P1Y1 with the radar antenna's. All Ginga's were green over nat. metal (from what I understand)
But I have a soft spot for radar equiped aircraft, hence my intrest in the 302Ku.

Should anyone be willing to share the Maru Machanic of Ginga, I'd be forever grateful!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to post a detailed review. Though in don't ever intend to build another vac-form kit, I will watch your excellent work with great interest.

There is only one pic of a radar equipped Ginga...none of the other aircraft shown carry the radar array.

Source: as Shown..

Attachments

• 302Ku Book_2375.jpg
    302Ku Book_2375.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 302Ku_Ginga_2380.jpg
    302Ku_Ginga_2380.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 318

Users who are viewing this thread

Back