1/48 scale Willie Mcknight of 242 sqdn decals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

looks like your right Terry !
so i'm guessing LE A would look something like Bader's LE D in these profiles from Osprey aircraft of the aces No 18 Hurricane aces 1939-1940 ????
anybody know if McKnight's Hurricane had the grim reaper on it and the black/sky undersides during the BoB ?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 87
It would look like Bader'as during the BoB, and, far as I know, it had the 'Reaper badge on it then. The black port wing was introduced in late 1940, but I'll have to check the date, as I can't remember off hand. I think it was mid November, but I'll check and let you know.

Confirmed; the black port wing was in use from November 27th 1940, when the Sky spinner and tail band were also introduced. The black was removed as of 21 April 1941.
So, for the BoB, it'll be Sky undersurfaces, no tail band, and a black spinner.

Ah, that's a different scheme altogether Andy. It started out as half silver, half black over all undrsides, then went to white/black, then a slightly different demarcation line. The last version, which also had varying changes to the roundels below the wings, was in use up until early July, when the change to 'Sky' on all undersides took place. This was on all day fighters.
The later black port wing had its demarcation (from the 'Sky') set outboard of the centre line, and outboard of the wing root.
Of course, as with most things, there were some exceptions, and it was possible to see some Spits and Hurris still with the black port wing in the early stages of the BoB.
It's a case of checking specific references for modelling a particular aircraft, and I hope to be including some basic details in the 'BoB Bits Box' thread.

Confirmed; the black port wing was in use from November 27th 1940, when the Sky spinner and tail band were also introduced. The black was removed as of 21 April 1941.
So, for the BoB, it'll be Sky undersurfaces, no tail band, and a black spinner.

you are correct Terry was looking around earlier and i found a painting of McKnight and bader in formation that depicts LE A exactly as you described, cheers mate :D

Nice one mate! You'll have to post that pic in your build thread when it starts. I think I might have a pic or two of his kite somewhere around - I'll have a look.

Hey Karl, not sure if you're aware of this painting done by Michael Martschenko called McKnight's Hat Trick.

It depicts an event on August 30, 1940 "following hard fighting, S/L Bader tucked in alongside his wingman, "Willie" McKnight as they returned to base. The exuberant Bader held up two fingers indicating his two victories. The Canadian flashed back three indicating a "Hat Trick". Bader was elated. The squadron that day claimed a total of 12 enemy A/C destroyed without loss to themselves. The tide of the battle was turning."

The painting confirms what Terry already told us about the colours.

Attachments

• McKnights_Hat_Trick.jpg
    McKnights_Hat_Trick.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 91
This thread was very helpful to me Karl! Now I just need to get my hands on a Hurricane! Found one online in Canada, and I've ordered from them before, but shipping was something like $8.00, which is fine if you're ordering a bunch, but I won't be!

This thread was very helpful to me Karl! Now I just need to get my hands on a Hurricane! Found one online in Canada, and I've ordered from them before, but shipping was something like $8.00, which is fine if you're ordering a bunch, but I won't be!

glad it helps Cory, but if you get stuck trying to find a Hurricane kit, send the decals to me and i'll put them on mine and show you some pictures :lol:

So do what I do. Buy more stuff at the same time!8)

Oh yeah, I forgot about the guy who gave you that dump truck full of kits. You're still young though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back