--> 1/48 Spitfire IXe - Post-War Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non-competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: Spitfire IXe
Aftermarket addons: None planned

I was originally thinking of taking a pass on this GB and then saw an opportunity to join with the gorgeous Eduard Spitfire MkIXe kit that I had in my stash. My original intent was to save this kit for a WW2 Canadian bird but when I saw the excellent surface detail that Eduard produced for this model, I though it should look great in a natural metal finish and the Eduard kit provides decals for just such a project. I'll just have to get another one for my original plan!

The model will depict a Spitfire IXe of the 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954.

101106 Cockpit Parts on Sprue.jpg

I'm not going to bore you with sprue shots of this kit as it's been reviewed a million times on other sites already. Suffice to say that it's a beauty.

That Eduard Spitfire has some of the best surface detail around. It'll be a treat to see it under a natural metal finish!

Cheers Geo. According to the Eduard Instruction Sheet, there is only one known photo of this aircraft and that's probably the one you have. The squadron emblem on the left side is therefore provided in two known versions as no photo confirmation is possible.

I'd be happy to see the photo you have found as I could not find it online.

Okay, Andy. A few more books to go through. I'll provide the book name(s) and photo credit(s) if you wish to use it/them in your thread. There is only a 7 and 9 for the serial number on the right side, the other numbers either worn off or not applied.

Last edited:
I like Andy ... i was thinking I do this spitfire Spitfire Mk. IXe 03 (white),105th Tajeset, 1955, with painting of two colors, dark blue and dark earth but found who tubiera the decals in 1/72 to 1/144, even if, so I decided me by the Bell p63c French in Indo-china during the first Vietnamese uprising

I've been sneaking a few minutes here and there on this kit since I started this thread so here's a short update. I've decided to make this a more-or-less OOB build and leave the canopy closed so I will make do with the decent details provided by Eduard without my usual embellishments. This will be more about the finish for me so I want to get there without spending too much time on fiddly details. I've painted up the pit and given it a good wash of dirt given that this rig was probably a pretty tired specimen after being bounced form the RAF to the Italian Air Force and then the Israeli.

16070401.jpg
16070402.jpg
16070403.jpg

I'll be highlighting more bits in the pit yet before finishing this area so more to come here. Also done are the wheel wells and radiators, all of which are made up of multiple parts. One reviewer dissed Eduard for "going overboard" on the wells, using 3 main pieces for each wall when one would have done. Well, I disagree because what they came up with was the only way to accurately replicate the conical shape of the walls. This could not have been molded in one piece so kudos to Eduard for doing what no others have done to my knowledge.

16070404.jpg
16070405.jpg

The radiator tubs are made up of two side walls, two radiator grilles, and the bottom plate. The exit flap and actuators are also separate.Everything fits beautifully.

16070406.jpg
16070407.jpg

I'll be spending the bulk of my available hours on finishing the Ta152 and will nibble on this until that's done. Thanks for your interest.

Nice work Andy! I had to go back to my IXc build to see what words I had used to describe the 15-part wheel wells. I used "morbidly complex" but I acknowledged how well everything fit.

So, no work has been done on this build since the last post and, as agreed in the GB 31 discussion thread, I will move the continuation of this build there after I'm back from vacation on August 17. I'll be going to Ontario to visit family until next Sunday, then back to Calgary for 2 days, then driving out to Everett to catch the Luftwaffe Flying Day at the Flying Heritage Collection on the 13th. I'll be connected and will check in now and then.

No need for mods to move this thread. I will just let this one lapse and start a new one in GB31.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back