--> **** FINISHED: 1/48 Avia S-199 - Post-War Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Avia S-199 Israeli Air Force101st Squadron, June 1948

User Name: T Bolt

Name: Glenn

Category: Advanced

Kit: Hobby Craft Israeli Avia S-199

Scale: 1/48th

Accessories: Aluminum tubes for cannon barrels

Avia S-199 Israeli Air Force101st Squadron, June 1948

The Avia S-199 was a Czechoslovakian built Junkers Jumo 211 powered version of the Bf 109G and was the first fighter type acquired by the Israeli Air Force the first few arriving May 20, 1948 only three days after Israeli independence was declared. By May 29 three S-199s were attacking an Egyptian column heading towards Tel Aviv infliction only minor damage but slowing the column down giving Israeli forces enough time to halt the Egyptian advance.

Here's the finished model. Hope you like it.

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG

Nice work Glenn! It's very eye-catching, even for a one-color scheme.

Thanks. Yea I usually try to avoid 1 color schemes but figured it would be alright with the heavy weathering an aircraft operated in the middle east would have.

Very nice Glenn. I read a little about this bird and I think there was a write up in FSM magazine. Amazing that a German plane would be defending Israel.

I recently watched Above and Beyond which is a documentary describing the birth of the Israeli Air Force... very interesting stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back