1/48 Tamiya F4U 1A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FlexiBull

Airman 1st Class
Feb 9, 2009
I've just noticed that the tail planes on this model are identical and not handed!! Is this a known problem with this kit or am I gust unlucky? :cry::cry:

Attachments

• P1030759 (Medium).JPG
    P1030759 (Medium).JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 191
  • P1030761 (Medium).JPG
    P1030761 (Medium).JPG
    143 KB · Views: 201
The drawings are incorrect then, because every photo and model of a Corsair that I've seen has them like the Tamiya kit.

For instance, here:

DSC_6342%20F4U-1A%20NX83782%20F2G-1%20N5588N%2057%20right%20front%20in%20flight%20l.jpg

It's somewhat hard to see, but the starboard horizontal stabilizer doesn't have the round ports on it.

Last edited:
Just checked out Signal Squadron 1145 "F4U Corsair in Action" and Adam Jarski "F4U Corsair" Monografie and they are as in the Tamiya kit. So there are some incorrect plans around.

Thanks for the advice guys

Roger

I'm preparing to start my F4U-1A

Can anyone give a quick overview on VMF colour schemes in '43 to '45.
I noted that in '43 and '44 they generally had the three tone scheme of grey under, light blue mid and dark blue upper. But from early '45 the F4U-1Cs and Ds were dark blue overall.

Does anyone know was this overall dark blue the standard scheme for Marines and Navy aircraft from early 1945? if yes, was this new builds only or would existing planes (such as older -1A models) have been repainted?

Any guidance from you knowledgeable folk out there would be gratefully appreciated, so I can get my machine which I want to portray in 1945 in the right colour.

Thanks
Rob

The drawings are incorrect then, because every photo and model of a Corsair that I've seen has them like the Tamiya kit.

It's somewhat hard to see, but the starboard horizontal stabilizer doesn't have the round ports on it.

I have gone through a few books about the Corsair F4U-1.In many drawings of the aircraft I found there , I noticed these round access panels marked. However in many pictures of the fighter machine these aren't seen really. But I would like to pay your attention to these round panels on the fin.These aren't seen as well.But in many drawings these are drawn indeed. So would it mean these weren't there?. I don't think so.In a pic of a Corsair pilot Lt. Oscar Chenoweth (VF-17) , who flown F4U-1A BuNo 56146 "Ruthless II" , taken close to the fin these can be noticed clearly. Finally I have found in the In Detail Scale book series vol.1 about Corsair plane a couple of pics I uploaded here. What do you think?

Attachments

• Corsair stabilizers2.jpg
    Corsair stabilizers2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Corsair stabilizers1.jpg
    Corsair stabilizers1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Corsair stabilizers.jpg
    Corsair stabilizers.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 172
I'm preparing to start my F4U-1A

Can anyone give a quick overview on VMF colour schemes in '43 to '45.
I noted that in '43 and '44 they generally had the three tone scheme of grey under, light blue mid and dark blue upper. But from early '45 the F4U-1Cs and Ds were dark blue overall.

Does anyone know was this overall dark blue the standard scheme for Marines and Navy aircraft from early 1945? if yes, was this new builds only or would existing planes (such as older -1A models) have been repainted?

Rob

From February the 1st 1943 to March 1944 the document Specification SR-2c introduced the three tone camo scheme. Paints for the camo were : ANA 607 Non-Specular Sea Blue ( FS35042 ) - top of fuselages and leading edges of wings, fins and stabilizers. ANA 606 Semi-Gloss Sea Blue ( FS25042 ) - top sides of wings and tail surfaces. ANA 608 Non-Specular Intermediate Blue ( FS35164 ) - fuselage and fin sides. ANA 601 Non-Specular Insignia White ( FS37875 ) - undersides. The ANA 608 had to be applied in a way making the fluid transition between ANA 607 and ANA 601.

From March the 22nd 1944 to February the 23rd 1955 the document Specification SR-2d Amendment 1 introduced the ANA 623 Glossy Blue ( FS15042 ) colour for painting of all surfaces of aircraft.

These two documents were for the standard camo schemes. So it is the answer to your second question as well.

Concerning the third question.... these standard camo schemes were used for brand-new planes leaving factories. These machines that already were in service , weren't re-painted mostly and wore old schemes very often. Also these airplanes were re-painted with non-standard schemes or with paints of different tonalities. What is more the weather conditions, I mean, the sunlight, rain etc... changed the tonality of paints. The best example is the white matt paint that got greyish tone because of the dust, mud and oil or fuel leakings.

Last edited:
Wojtek those images are the confirmation. Thank you kind sir.

I guess being the same and not handed cut down on production cost and infield repairs.

Roger

You are welcome guys. :)

I guess being the same and not handed cut down on production cost and infield repairs.

I think you are absolutely right Roger.It is a good reason for that. But we have to take other solutions into consideration. The first one is that surfaces of these stabilizers might have been made smooth with a putty like the wing of P-51 for instance. The second one is that these round panels might have been on undersides only.And also might have been made smooth with a putty or a thicker layer of a paint simply.The third one is that these weren't observed because of the very good fixing of the plate edges and a thicker coat.
And finally the Corsair in these pics seems to be exhibited in a museum. It was possible the plane could have been assembled using parts of a few different Corsairs.

Last edited:
I grabbed these two shots from B-17engineer's and Njaco's thread about the Air Show . These circular accessing panels are almost unnoticable in these shots.But they are there.

Attachments

• Corsair 1.JPG
    Corsair 1.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 159
  • corsair2.JPG
    corsair2.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 151
Here's another one. This is the airworthy Corsair at Duxford. Note the removed cover on the top surface of the elevator, but no visible inspection ports on the tailplane, starboard side. Couldn't photograph the port tailplane - it didn't have one fitted at the time!!

Attachments

• Czech 034.jpg
    Czech 034.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Czech 041.jpg
    Czech 041.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 136
Thanks Wojtek. I took quite a few detail shots of various aircraft at Duxford, what I thought might be useful for modellers here. Hope to be going to Newark Museum in two weeks (to see Gary and Tony at Cockpit Fest), so any requests, let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back