1/72 FAA Seafire Mk 46

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

36feet10inches

Staff Sergeant
Jan 25, 2009
Newark, UK
Vickers Supermarine Seafire Mk. 46 LA546 900/LM
Personal mount of Capt. Caspar John
Station Flight, RNAS Lossiemouth, early 1948

Finally polished this one off:

IMGP1327.jpg

IMGP1334.jpg

IMGP1330.jpg

IMGP1328.jpg

IMGP1331.jpg

IMGP1333.jpg

This is probably the build I'm most proud of, not because it's anything spectacular to look at (it ain't) but the fact I managed to see it through to completion. on at least three occasions I nearly wrote it off and moved on to something else. On one, I was ready to put it on the floor and stomp on it. Even when I sprayed the wrong kind of varnish on it and watched the paint blister and crack before my very eyes, I took a deep breath and reached for the sandpaper.

The kit is the Jays/Ventura Mk. 47 - or some of it is. After knocking together a variety of Spits from Airfix, Tamiya, Kopro, Heller, Revell and others, this kit - "for the experienced modeller" - was a whole new ballgame. Endless cutting, sanding and filling to get it to fit but (I gather) an accurate representation dimension-wise. From the kit I used only the fuselage, wings/tailfins, wheel covers and tradiators, everything else is cannibalised from other kits. The prop is a lovely Aeroclub metal job. Cheers to Evan for the canopy :D. The decals are Model Alliance, and very nice.

The kite in question was the personal 'plane of Capt. (later Admiral) Caspar John who was a pioneer of the FAA - Caspar John - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - quite a career. I have a pic of the original airframe:

46la546peterrarnoldcoll.jpg

I think my EDSG turned out a bit dark, though the 'plane seems to be very will lit in this pic. NB being land based it didn't have an arrestor hook fitted. There should be a little guard thing in front of the tailwheel but that would have been beyond fiddly, I can live without it!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beaut job mate! Personally, I think the contra-rotating prop spoiled the look of the kite, but it still looks nice. I think the EDSG looks ok, maybe it's just the scale when viewed 'in the flesh? Nice work Conk.

Almost completely different! I think they mentioned in my Squadron book that they wanted to change the name from the Mk.21 already (which the later Seafires closely resemble) feeling it was a completely new aircraft, but weren't authorized to by the AM. They finally got permission with the Spiteful.

It's amazing how much the Spitfire progressed in 10 short years not only in looks but in performance, gross weight and fuel capacity. I just finished reading "The Spitfire Story" (Sorry I cant remember the authors name off hand)((Alfred Price)) and was amazed at the changes they made to the basic airframe to get every once of performance out of it. I highly recommend the Book. (I'll edit this later to include the author)

Last edited:
Yes, that's him! Wonderful book. Reading the book I felt as if I was there watching the development of the Spitfire. Highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back