1/72 FGR.2 British Phantom-Fujimi

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, I have some sanding and blending done on the RWR. It needs a bit more rounding on the
top surfaces I think from the references photos I have seen.- John
F4M 10.JPG

Nice, looks good. I used to work with a guy who was crew chief on 64 Sqn Phantoms, the markings on the decal sheet with the scarab beetle. He was also at RAF Mt Pleasant, Falkland Islands, where 1435 Flight was stationed and its three F-4s.

Thanks, why are there so many pop up adds in the middle of my posts. It's annoying.- John

Thanks, I assembled the wings. The only holes I opened are for the wing tanks on the outer pylons.
The only other ordinance hanging off the plane will be the 4 missiles in the fuselage wells. The wings
are placed on the fuselage for a test fit. I have to remove them to sand where I puttied the intakes to
the fuselage. I see no gaps in the wing fit so far.- John
F4M 18.JPG

F4M 19.JPG

Looking good John.
British Phantoms carried the Sargeant Fletcher tanks on the outboard pylons, and also permanently mounted the inboard pylons with twin rails for AIM-9 missiles, although the weapons themselves were not always mounted, depending on task. i.e. operational or training flight. Quite often, a single 'live' missile would be carried on each side, or a single ballast round on one side, and an 'acquisition' round on the opposite side.
Note that the missile pylons were a different shape to the US version, being 'straight edged' rather than a curved leading edge.
If a full load of Skyflash missiles was not mounted beneath the fuselage, then the two forward slots would normally be loaded with ballast rounds. These were the same size, shape and weight as the full missile, but lacked the fins, and were painted gloss blue.
For a standard patrol sortie, the center line tank was normally mounted.
The pics of my 1/48th scale model below show a typical load, with the camouflaged, long deceased 1/32nd scale model showing the blue ballast round under the nose.
If you need more info, or detail pics, just shout.

models 10 -08 010.jpg
models 10 -08 016.jpg
2011-04-11_22.JPG

Thanks, I have no rails for the inner pylon so I will put the pylons with no rails.
I have pictures showing some planes without center line tanks so I am omitting that
as well. I will go with 4 Skyflash missiles in the wells. What color would they have been?
All over white or white with a grey war head? Also the U.S. had 2 types of pylons. The U.S.A.F.
had the rounded type and the U.S.N. had the straight type similar to the ones I see on British
FGR.2s. Thanks- John

Last edited:
The original missile was the Sparrow, which were white, with a pale, cream coloured or light grey tip. The replacement, the 'up-graded' British Skyflash, basically the same size and shape as the Sparrow, was a very pale blue-grey colour, almost white with a very light grey tip.
The light shades can just about be seen in the pics of my (grey) model.

Thanks, I found some missile rails and added them to the inner pylons.- John
F4M 20.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back