1/72 HPM Sea Vixen FAW.2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
Here's one of the projects on my worktable. It's an HPM Hobbies 1/72 de Havilland Sea Vixen FAW.2. The kit is made from the old style light blue HPM injected plastic. Incredibly detailed and probably the most accurate kit in 1/72 scale of the plane. Although much like the old HPM kits, it takes a lot of love when putting it together with all the flash and uneven joints. Test fitting is a must to ensure proper alignment for these old kits as these were from an era when the sandpaper industry was supported by the model kit business (old joke here).

The kit comes with resin parts for the exhaust housing and ejection seats. The main canopy is vac-formed but the radar operator's canopy and side-panel window were missing and needed to be replicated with clear plastic. The cockpits, wing fences, belly air-brake fins, exhaust nozzles, intake details, refueling probe, wing pitot tubes and other miscellaneous fin antennas needed to be scratch-built. The landing gear parts were also resin cast and has incredible detail, but the nose landing gear covers are not provided and need to be replaced with styrene sheets.
The most difficult part of this build would be the intake and exhaust details as these needed a lot of test-cutting and fitting to create a reasonable facsimile. It's also a tail-sitter and needs about 200 grams of counterweight in the nose.

The kit comes with six hard-point pylons with the outboard pylons mated with fuel tanks, but alas, no Redtop missiles or 2-inch rocket pods are included. The panel lines are all sunken but some are a tad shallow and needed to be re-scribed.

As the box says, "NO decals included", so those need to be either from aftermarket and/or home made versions. There are other kits out there that are much more user-friendly and even have poseable parts like air brakes and flaps, but these are lacking in accuracy in fuselage proportion, especially the nose section. I have the Cyber-hobby kit as a comparison in my stash for this purpose.

So, the kit is not for the "weak of heart" indeed, but it does make for a satisfying build once all the missing bits and bobs are worked-out. The kit is still available at HPM Hobbies for those who are interested in building this beautiful RN aircraft.

Next, painting, decals and finishing...

SeaVixen_04.jpg

SeaVixen_03.jpg

SeaVixen_02.jpg

SeaVixen_01.jpg

SeaVixen_05.jpg

SeaVixen_06.jpg

The Britts sure had some deadly looking Cold War birds !! Vixen, Javelin, Ligtning and my favourite the Vulcan. Cool looking kit. I've never done a resin kit. Looking forward to how it turns out.

The Britts sure had some deadly looking Cold War birds !! Vixen, Javelin, Ligtning and my favourite the Vulcan. Cool looking kit. I've never done a resin kit. Looking forward to how it turns out.

Were these strange layouts a mistake in design or were they to solve problems that dont exist anymore?

Were these strange layouts a mistake in design or were they to solve problems that dont exist anymore?

I would imagine finding some of the stuff the allies found that the Germans were up to after the war seemed like anything goes !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back