RAF use of 100 octane during the Battle of Britain is well sorted. Less well widely known and understood is RAF use of 100 octane during the Battle of France. Published accounts during the war show the use of 100 octane and its benefits prior to and during the battle of France. Maybe this was forgotten in subsequent generations or the writings about the BoB just eclipsed those of the Battle of France?
Flight 28 March 1940
W/C Ian Gleed D.F.C., Arise to Conquer, (Random House, New York 1942) p. 49. F/Lt I. R. Gleed, 87 Squadron, 18 May 1940
Barry Sutton, The Way of a Pilot, (MacMillan & Co, Ltd., London 1943) pp. 79-80. P/O F. B. Sutton, 56 Squadron, 18 May 1940 Vitry, France:
Paul Richey DFC, Fighter Pilot (Redwood Press, Wiltshire 1990) p 76. (first published in Great Britain by B.T. Batsford Ltd., 1941.)F/O Paul Richey, 1 Squadron, 11 May 1940 "...boost-override pulled."
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/hurricane/richey-pg76.jpg
Hurricanes and Blenheims in France were using 100 octane in the spring of 1940 when the battle intensified:
Scale of Reserve Stocks of Aviation Fuels to be held in France for the A.A.S.F., 7 May 1940
Petrol and Oil requirements for R.A.F. Component on 15th May 1940.
Hurricane squadrons participating in the Battle of France: AASF Hurricane squadrons - 1, 73 & 501. RAF Air Component 3, 79, 85, 87, 504, 607, 615. 11 Group Hurricane Reinforcements 17, 32, 56, 111, 145, 151, 213, 229, 242, 245, 253, 601
Combat Reports and pilot accounts note +12 boost or use of boost control cut-out, only available when using 100 octane fuel:
56 Squadron Combat Report noting +12 boost for Hurricanes, 9 May 1940
S/L J.O.W. Oliver, 85 Squadron, 10 May 1940 "... I pulled the plug."
F/O Paul Richey, 1 Squadron, 11 May 1940 "...boost-override pulled." Paul Richey DFC, Fighter Pilot (Redwood Press, Wiltshire 1990) p 76. (first published in Great Britain by B.T. Batsford Ltd., 1941.)
F/O E. J. Kain, 73 Squadron, 14 May 1940 "...pulling his boost cut out..." Noel Monks, Fighter Squadrons, (Angus and Robertson, Sydney : London, 1941), p 98-99 (See also Cull, Twelve Days in May), pg 124.
P/O D. W. A. Stones, 79 Squadron, 14 May 1940 " I now pulled out the emergency boost-plug for the first time ever..." Donald Stone, Dimsie, (Wingham Press, Canterbury, 1991), p 32.
Sgt. R. C. Wilkinson, 3 Squadron, 14 May 1940 "12 P.S.I." Kenneth James Nelson, C.D., Spitfire RCD, The Wartime Exploits of Royce Clifford Wilkinson O.B.E, D.F.M. & Bar, Hignall Printing Ltd., Canada, 1994). p. 6.
P/O R. P. Beamont, 87 Squadron, 15 May 1940 "I pulled the tit'* for over-boost... *Emergency boost over-ride on the Merlin engine." Roland Beamont, My Part of the Sky, (Patrick Stephens Limited, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire), pg 30.
S/L E. M. Donaldon, 151 Sqdn., Combat Report, 18 May 1940 "I pulled the plug and climbed at 10 lbs boost"
P/O John Bushell, 151 Sqdn., Combat Report, 18 May 1940 "I used full 12 lb boost (pulled the plug) and overtook EA rapidly."
P/O F. B. Sutton, 56 Squadron, 18 May 1940 Vitry, France: "...I had to pull the tit... Emergency boost control giving extra power" Barry Sutton, The Way of a Pilot, (MacMillan & Co, Ltd., London 1943) pp. 79-80
F/O C. F. G. Adye, 17 Squadron, 18 May 1940 "...pulled emergency boost control..."
F/Lt I. R. Gleed, 87 Squadron, 18 May 1940 "At about 100 feet I straighten up, pull the tit *; a jerk as my supercharger goes up to twelve boosts." W/C Ian Gleed D.F.C., Arise to Conquer, (Random House, New York 1942) p. 49.
F/Lt I. R. Gleed, 87 Squadron, 19 May 1940 "Here goes with the tit. A jerk - the boost's shot up to twelve pounds; speed's increased by 30 m.p.h. "Ibid p. 61.
F/O C. F. G. Adye, 17 Squadron, 19 May 1940 "...pulled emergency boost..."
Sgt. L.H.B. Pearce, 79 Squadron, 20 May 1940 "Pulled tit..."
Sgt. J. C. Harrison, 229 Squadron, 28 May 1940< "I pulled the emergency boost and followed him down still firing."
P/O K. B. McGlashan, 245 Squadron, 28 May 1940 "We'd boost an extra four pounds, from eight to twelve" S/L Kenneth Butterworth McGlashan with Owen Zupp, Down to Earth, (Grubb Street, London, 2007), pg 29.
P/O C. M. Simpson, 229 Squadron, 29 May 1940 "...I followed it down with boost out and pulled."
Then there are the Spitfires that helped over Dunkirk, for example:
For more of that see also
Spitfire Mk I Testing