100% scratchbuild 1/48 lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

well i'll tell you something you are braver than me to scratch build a 48th lanc', on your under carriage legs which retract up will you be attaching wheels covers which will also close at the same time ?

how far have you got now?

i once did a vac' form 1/48 avro lincoln by sanger, god never again hardest thing ever.

...ian

Thanks!

At last I am determined on last week to embark on another one, with normal or large bomb bay doors. Sequence pics shows how I make rivet heads on the model with thin plastic sheet which was also heat-formed.

Attachments

• DSCF0005_edited.JPG
    DSCF0005_edited.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF0008_edited.JPG
    DSCF0008_edited.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF0009_edited.JPG
    DSCF0009_edited.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF0001_edited.JPG
    DSCF0001_edited.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 177
I got it from a company called G-George resides in one of the toolboxes on my working table.

How to use;
1) heat press or form a thin PET plastic sheet on the original mold or model.
2) draw rivet lines on the original model
3) apply a very thin coat of plastic primer mixed with grey lacquer
4) put the formed sheet onto the model
5) trace the rivet lines on the sheet with a pencil
6) use the rivet tool from the backside of the sheet

Benefit of using this tool on PET plastic sheet is that you can also reprodute wavinesses of the aircraft's skin.

Attachments

• rivet tool.jpg
    rivet tool.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 158
Would somebody build a 1/32 Douglas Dauntress with mushroom head rivets all over. That should be a decisive factor to reproduce a formidable bomber enough to sink our carriers.

In that case I will provide ALL the information the builder requires.

Sure enough I am in a jail called Aviation for more than 30 years, which I do not want to get out from!!:p

I got it from a company called G-George resides in one of the toolboxes on my working table.

How to use;
1) heat press or form a thin PET plastic sheet on the original mold or model.
2) draw rivet lines on the original model
3) apply a very thin coat of plastic primer mixed with grey lacquer
4) put the formed sheet onto the model
5) trace the rivet lines on the sheet with a pencil
6) use the rivet tool from the backside of the sheet

Benefit of using this tool on PET plastic sheet is that you can also reprodute wavinesses of the aircraft's skin.

THX Ppopsie.Very interesting tool.How much time does it take to make riveting for a wing for instance?

It took me two days to work on the fuselage, about eight hours inclusive. I would say I can finish skinning on an upper wing panel in 1/2 hour for just riveting.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 138
Don't mention it. Its no great thing.

I cut both wing tips from wooden mold because wing molds were no longer needed. Also building up of the wing tips from scratch was not a simple job.

Black part seen on the wing tips are superglued carbon filaments (rovings). I used CFRP material elsewhere on my Lanc to give more strenghs and tiffnesses. In this CFRP can be superglued quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back