100% scratchbuild 1/48 lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is 100% handmade, no, 99.9% because I copied two radio sets T1154-R1155 from Tamiya Mosquito as you can see on the previous cockpit photo. The fuselage and the wings were of heat pressed stylene sheets supplied by Tamiya-san, on wooden molds which had been made by me. Wing ribs are in the same material.

It looks great!! very nice work! In the photo that accompanied this quote I see three fuselages and various wing components. Can you go into more detail about how you made these parts? How is the "Heat pressed stylene sheets" formed?

I started it by having the DVD "The Dam Busters" first, in early 2005. Then I got some wood pieces from a DIY shop nearby. The grain-less wood material is reasonably soft (not as soft as balsa), has uniform density and is suited for hand-carving.

Information about the Lancaster gathered included the plans scanned from the Lancaster Manual book. I found that THESE are very accurate by comparing them with various photographs, and I could use them by simply resizing into 1/48 scale on the PC and print them on the paper.

Shaping the wood blocks were not very complicated job thanks to the simplicity of the aircraft's shape. I mainly used a middle sized plane and coarse grained sand paper and no magics.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCF0001b.JPG
    DSCF0001b.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCF0001a.JPG
    DSCF0001a.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 221
I used 0.2mm thick PET plastic films to reproduce the mushroom rivet heads. Rivet head tool is made with 25 hand sewing needles.

Each wing sectiones were drawn on the PC and printed onto an adhesive paper. The sheet then was to put on a stylene sheet which can be cut easily.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCF0001a.JPG
    DSCF0001a.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 212
Just a little progress. Plane shape of the X like part fitted between the bomb sling arms is from my guess, as deduced from German documents.

Note: not superbly painted markings.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF0004_edited.JPG
    DSCF0004_edited.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCF0005_edited.JPG
    DSCF0005_edited.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 181
I've been building models for a long time, but never nothing like that. I
prefer balsa and silkspan. I am impressed ! Very good job....

Charles

Glazings; honestly I didn't expect to have that effect but I used thin (0.2mm) transparent PET plastic sheet to reproduce rivet heads on the fuselage. The sheet was cemented to the original plastic surface by using black color non-transparent scilicone glue. Each panes were masked over prior to applying Mr Color's plastic primer. Then top coatings were airbrushed.

Also it was presumed that the fuselage window panes actually were blacked out on AJ A-apple, as several existing photos suggested.

That combination brought such an effect and for now I am satisfied with that.

Its nothing. No big stuff. To make corrections on an existing plastic kit to get a satisfactory one should be more troublesome to make one from scratch.

It has indeed been relatively long time to bring the model onto that level. My motivation deflated quite often but each time it was regained by playing the Dam Busters movie DVD endlessly while working on the model. In case if you are buiding a B-17 model, it would be 12'o Clock High or The War Lover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back