Airfix 1/48 P-51-D "Stinky"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Meant to post here..... pffft.
I have learned some lessons on this one. Let's see if I can make sense of it.
First, DO and I mean Do put black down under SMS metallics!!!!! For best results!
They are a Transparent carrying Flake. They are the brightest When sprayed Over black.
Fuselage, I did spray PL01 Black (it goes by no other name) as a base color then PMT04 Super Silver
as my Overall Silver fuselage finish.
On the wings my base was PL33 Camo Black. I thought the flatter finish would change the color
of PMT09 Metallic Aluminium and it kinda did, made for a less glossy finish. What I wanted as they
were filled, sanded and spray painted. Although the cold temps at altitude made this paint degrade.
That's what I heard somewhere.
Flaps and elevators I also used PL01 Black under CHM01 Hyper chrome. I wanted a really bright surface.
Got that!!!!!
The exhaust surround. When I did the nose art on Merlins Magic I remember it being Stainless Steel.
So I masked and painted them with PMT05 Stainless Steel, DOH! I wanted to do the ammo doors SS
but I had already put the decals down.... pfffft.
So I have com to my own conclusion if I put the lightest of the metallics down (over black) I can then
use Any of the other metallics with success and not have to worry about color shift.
Decals as a plus; I tried another method for the decals no clear Under!!!!! I used a little makeup sponge tip,
with a little water onnit, and a drop of Vallejo Water Based Decal FIX applied on the surface. Applied the decal
as normal over this pressing all the liquid from under. Cleaned the surface around the decal with another
sponge and a bit of water. This solution stuck my instructions to my matt!!!!!! Decals seem permanent!

Stinky 8.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for looking in on this one guys!
So in my stash of obscure parts and decals I found "IV" and the serial 414117.
The "M" meh! I'll have to look for straight lines that can be used to fabricate two.
These measure 10.5mm tall, but the thickness of the strokes are the same as the "IV"!
Getting there!
Stinky 9.jpg

Bill, not sure if your subject is 359th FG based in the UK, but if it is 8th USAAF, based UK/Europe, it's probable that the antenna wire was not present, with the radios being VHF, served by the "blade" antenna on top of the fuselage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back