13's.... (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Poland Lim-5 c/n 1C-1613 s/n 1613
*6/1960: Delivered to the Polish AF.
*1960: 26 PLM.
*Upgraded to Lim-5R.
*21 SPLR.
*1990: Withdrawn from use.
*1991: Put into storage at Katowice AB.
*Sold on the private market and registered as "NX17YB".

Poland Lim-5 c/n 1C-1913 s/n 1913
*6/1960: Delivered to the Polish AF.
*1960: Centrum Szkolenia Lotniczego.
*Upgraded to Lim-5R.
*21 SPLR.
*Currently preserved at a museum in Lodz.

In 1949 name PZL Factory no.1 in Mielec was changed to the WSK-1 Mielec. The licence building of MiG in the factory started in 1952 with the MiG-15 named Lim-1. The next variants of MiGs got names Lim-2 (MiG-15bis), Lim-5 (MiG-17F), Lim-5P (MiG-17PF). Also, the factory designed own, fighter-bomber ground-attack planes named Lim-5M, Lim-6, Lim-6bis that were a modified MiG-17 in fact. Because of a political decission the licence for building of MiG-21 wasn't given.

No? Why was that then Herr Dr.?

The licence built MiG-21 in Poland was going to be named Lim-7. The proper agreement documantation was already signed in July 1956 and January 1957. Unfortunately, Kremlin's mistrust of the new, Polish Government with Władysław Gomółka as the leader, went up in that time. In May, 1957 the Polish delegation in Moscow insisting on getting of the licence, heard from Nikita Khrushchev words" if you assure me chorally that all can be kept in secrecy, I won't believe that".
In 60' the matter of getting MiG-21s came back to life because of the Cuban missile crisis. Russians agreed on selling Poland MiG-21s but without the building licence. Was the Polish attempt to get of the licence repeating in the next years? There is no info.

My pleasure Pal. Additionally , I think that the Kremlin's lack of the trust was caused by the couple of Polish military pilot's escapes to the West while flying MiG-15.

My pleasure Pal. Additionally , I think that the Kremlin's lack of the trust was caused by the couple of Polish military pilot's escapes to the West while flying MiG-15.

Surely, they weren't the only ones, right.....

I see that the Trumpeter released a 1/48 Sukhoi Su-9 Fishpot.....d*mn!

Users who are viewing this thread