13's....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bristol F.2b, A7213, 48 Squadron,

2Lt EC Birch
Robert David Coath
Herbert Henry Hartley
Bruce Stanley C. Jackman
Alan Douglas Light
Arthur Rex Hurden Noss
Keith Rodney Park
Edward George Herbert Caradoc Williams

I've seen that somewhere before,although not from that angle, and I'm fairly sure it's either a large scale, scratch-built model, from a long time ago..
or a a pic of an inter-war museum exhibit, with a spurious serial number.

I tried "Search Google for this image", but it showed as an Airco DH.5, which it isn't....weird!
As I said, the propeller is throwing me off....

Geo's got it.
Fairly sure that this is the aircraft that was in the Science Museum, Kensington, between the wars. Not sure if it's still there, but I vaguely recall seeing it there in the early 1960's, although I may be confusing this with the Shuttleworth Collection example, which i think was silver, before restoration (and could well be the same aircraft).
The serial number may be the inter-war equivalent of a Maintenance Number. These were applied to airframes retained, normally for instructional ground training, and, certainly after World War Two, were prefixed by 'M'.
Such numbers were common on 'gate guard' Spitfires, until such time as these were 'rescued' for restoration.
What looks like a 'H' in the serial may well be a 'M'.

Edited for addiions.

Last edited:
Yep, my error. The 'M' is normally a suffix, not a prefix as I stated.
When retired from service, bu retained for ground instructional use/ gate guard etc, the original serial was normally cancelled, and replaced by the 'maintenance number, for example 1234M, although both numbers would be recorded on the Aircraft Movement Card.
That said, I have personally seen the 'M' as both prefix and suffix, back in the late 1950s and up to early 1970s, often on 'gate guards' of various types. When applied as a prefix, it may have been to try to represent a 'service type' of serial number, or it may have been applied that way in error.
The well-know photo below shows the Spit Mk.IX that used to be at Hawkinge, with the 'M' as a prefix.

Users who are viewing this thread