13's.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Regarding this Bf 109G-10, from JG300....which was said to be Yellow 13, is apparently Blue 13 now....

"The original photos showing the Bf 109 G-10 W.Nr. 151934 "Gelbe 13" JG300, location unknown, Germany,( eBay Auktion via TOCH Forum). Very special thanks to Marc-Andre Haldimann how shares the photos. The photos give us a very good impresion about the appearance of Hartmann's G-10.
As I told earlier I will build one of the Green/Green-camouflaged aircrafts out of the transition phase during the introduction of RLM81/82 replacing RLM 74/75 for fighter aircrafts. Unfortunately still today this instruction is not discovered. The Missing Document was stated in Sammelmitteilung 2 "Tarnatlas - Camouflage guide from Travemünde Test center". But again, everything is standardized in Germany. We need to follow the indications. Let's start:
- The 1941 issue of the L.DV 521/1 makes the following statement:
- RLM 70/71 is for land based aircraft
- RLM 74/75/76 is for fighter and destroyers
- Sammelmitteilung 1, dated 01 July 1944, introdudes RLM 81/82 as a replacement for 70/71. Most important for us is the instruction that, if stocks of 70/71 remained it is allowed to combine the paints with the new paints to reduce the stock. The combinations 70/82 and 81/71 were allowed.
- Sammelmitteilung 1, dated 01 July 1944, RLM informed that "… delivery of color charts for 81 and 82 is currently not possible. For this reason there is no acceptance inspection of the paints shade …".
Can you imagine what that means? The paint manufacturer can deliver what he can deliver.
- In the same time frame the so called "Notjägerprogramm / Emergency Fighter Program" was initiated. In short this means, that all the aircrafts that were ordered to receive a camouflage in 70/71(see first bullet) went immediately out-of-production.
- I hope everyone can imagine how many paint stocks of 70/71 went immediately available for other application. There must be thousands of tons available.
- We learned in bullet 2 that RLM ordered that remaining stock of 70/71 must be used up before new lacquers were used. For aircraft painted in 74/75 this gives us a lot variations. This includes the variation: 70/82 and this is a Green/Green-camouflage.
- I always talked about a transition phase. The highest ever output of produced fighter aircrafts was reached in Autumn 1944. It is easy to understand that existing stocks of paints quickly consumed. Later in the war, beginning in 1945, all aircrafts were delivered in 81/82.
- Maybe two questions appear:
Why I build my model in a Green/Green-Camouflage not in 74/75? The photo I used as reference was taken 17 April 1945. Again I am sure that everyone knows the loss-rate of the Luftwaffe in the final stages of the war. Therefore I believe that this G-10 is not an early (74/75)-produced one, it is a later (81/82)-produced one.
Why I believe that the aircraft was painted in Greens? It is impossible to judge from B/W-photos the color. My assumption is that the dark gray is so dark that it could be only RLM70. And yes the lighter gray could be RLM75. Again the colors of the camouflage are my right to express my opinion based on my research."

Users who are viewing this thread