1945 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seangday

Airman
Nov 23, 2009
Just wondering, where do you draw the line at ww2 warbirds? Would it include planes that were being developed at the time ,or would they have to actually taken part in combat?

Good question.

I myself would think it includes any piston engined aircraft that was on the drawing board at the official end of WW2.

As for jets, only the ones that were flying in 1945 qualify.

Last edited:
Good question.

I myself would think it includes any piston engined aircraft that was on the drawing board at the official end of WW2.

As for jets, only the three that were flying in 1945 qualify.
Why is that?
Why not the jets that were on the drawing board too?

I would say for discussions sake on this website, only ones that actually entered service before the war ended, other wise the list would be very long. Especially when you start to add all the aircraft that were on the drawing boards of the various nations involved in WW2 that were in development.

Which three jets syscom? Vampire, P-80 and He 280? :D

My facetious joke, obviously I hope, is intended to say that I would class anything that was flying before hostilities ceased as a warbird. Before someone asks, yes I would draw a disctinction between the ETO and PTO, ie, an August 1945 British prototype is not a warbird, but an American one would be. To me anyways.

Last edited:
I think having airplanes on the drawing board does NOT count. The Germans had hundreds of aircraft on the drawing board, and while I consider them to be part of World War II, I do not put them on the same level as the P-51 for instance.

I agree that taking part in combat is a big condition as well as squadron service. I do not count the P-80 and Vampire as World War II, but thats just me.

That's a hard call to make, but from my viewpoint, if a machine was designed and built to be deployed in a theater of battle, then it is a warbird. The fact that it was on the drawing board definately qualifies it as a historical item.

That the machine actually made it into combat shouldn't be a sole determining factor, but the fact that it was designed, built and ready for a combat application during the time period would be a qualifier.

As far as the mentioned WWII jet warbirds go, the P-80 actually did make it to a combat zone (2 to England, 2 to Italy) during WWII, therefore it is a WWII Warbird. The He280 was flown and production ready very early in the war, and it was presented for evaluation to the RLM combat ready (equipped with three MG151/20 cannon), qualifying it is a WWII Warbird. Unfortunately, the DH VAmpire wouldn't qualify as a true WWII warbird, as it was far too late to enter any theater before the end of hostilities, but the Gloster Meteor definately would.

Prsonally, I think anything that saw active service during WW2, whatever that role was, qualifies as a WW2 warbird.
As for those types that did fly before the end of the war and eventually entered service, how many were there?

I would have agreed with syscom3, particulaly about the bearcat. Where would the seafire or hawker tempest fit in? I would have included them in as warbirds and not just because as derivatives, but in their own right.

As far as the mentioned WWII jet warbirds go, the P-80 actually did make it to a combat zone (2 to England, 2 to Italy) during WWII, therefore it is a WWII Warbird. The He280 was flown and production ready very early in the war, and it was presented for evaluation to the RLM combat ready (equipped with three MG151/20 cannon), qualifying it is a WWII Warbird. Unfortunately, the DH VAmpire wouldn't qualify as a true WWII warbird, as it was far too late to enter any theater before the end of hostilities, but the Gloster Meteor definately would.

I'm not agree on this He 280 was a potentially warbird not a actually warbird. P-80 is not a warbird like the Fw 190 is not a summer '41 plane (in summer test Fw 190 where go in France for test and for true also test exemplares in German were in combat zone)

I think having airplanes on the drawing board does NOT count. The Germans had hundreds of aircraft on the drawing board, and while I consider them to be part of World War II, I do not put them on the same level as the P-51 for instance.

I agree that taking part in combat is a big condition as well as squadron service. I do not count the P-80 and Vampire as World War II, but thats just me.

Theres a vast difference between having something on the drawing board and actually having the same in the air as a protoype.

Although they are not "true" WW2 aircraft as per the wording, they are still WW2 era aircraft having been in the air at, or shortly after hostilities ended.

Thats why I consider the F7F, F8F, Skyraider and P80 as being WW2 aircraft.

The Skyraider was already 4 months into testing and evaluation when the war ended.
The Bearcat was already in production and already had a squadron enroute to Japan when the war ended.
The Tigercat was already flying in 1943, so it too is a true WW2 warbird, even though fate would have it not have a role in the war.
The P80 was in production when the war ended and squadrons and groups being formed.

Where would the Seafire or Hawker Tempest fit in? I would have included them in as warbirds and not just as derivatives, but in their own right
There was no denying that the Seafire was a navalised Spitfire but naval force projection meant that the Seafire could readily reach targets that the Spitfire could not. Out of reach (and therefore help) of its land-based cousin, maybe judged on its own merits?

The Tempest was certainly an improved Typhoon but in my opinion it's stretching it somewhat to say it was merely a Typhoon II, there were many changes; the outward similarity is maintained visually (very strongly) with the chin radiator but Hawker had plenty of opportunities to drop that, in which case people might not have made the Typhoon/Tempest connection quite so strongly, no more strongly say, than the Hurricane/Typhoon connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back