1956 Seahawk Duck Egg Green

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SirFrancis

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2022
Hey Guys,
Instructions call for duck egg green underside Tamiya XF21. I dunno but that looks kinda dark. Just looking at completed models the range of shades of this underside is huge. Does anyone have an idea which is closer to correct? XF-21 seems too dark when compared to the photo below. I've got XF-14
which is pretty close too. Maybe I'll add some white.

1700995308045.png
1700995395305.png

1700995224567.png

I wouldn't follow the colour chips from the net. These may vary in its appearance because of the way these were scanned/created and the displayer settings you use.
The old kit instruction suggests the Humbrol Beige Green (Hu 90). They also offers the acrylic paint of the colour. Indeed the Tamiya equivalent is the XF21. The next equivalent can be the Gunze/Mr.Hobby H031 White Green. However, the Gunze/Mr.Hobby offers the Mr Hobby H74 or Mr Colour C26 both the Duck Egg Green colours that may match nicely. I would use the Mr Colour C26 Duck Egg Green that seems to be the closest one. And finally , the Vallejo Model Air 71.009.
Anyway, no matter what colour you are going to use you always may add some of a white to get it lighter.

Hu90.jpg

CH.jpg

and the different tone of the XF21 ... Tamiya 81721 and 81321

Tamiya 81721b.jpg

Tamiya 81321b.jpg

And here what I have found via the net ... Aircraft Colors and Camouflage, Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm - Resources - The World Wars.net

Paint guide:

- Extra Dark Sea Grey BS 640: Virtually identical to the wartime shade.
- Sky BS 210: The post-war version of Sky is close enough to the wartime version as to not present much of a problem for most modelers. Paints that show a more yellow-gray hue are preferred to those that are greener (like Gunze H74/C26 and Tamiya XF-21).

CG.jpg

Ok thanks guys....I'm being stingy so don't want to buy more paint if I don't have to, especially a colour I'm not likely to use again. I might lighten the XF14 a touch and try that.
cheers

It's usually a good idea to lighten model colours a bit anyway due to "scale effect". Only a few Tamiya paints have been designed to match actual camo colours so mixing tends to be needed to get a good match. I like your plan and it should look good.

I've never had good luck trying to color match colors on the internet. The color you get on your screen depends a lot on your monitor settings.

I get a piece of actual period aircraft skin & match that. No hobby paint company has got it right since the 1970's. My old tin of Humbrol 78 (bought 1967) was the correct RAF interior green. Tin bought last year was a dark green - not at all suitable.

I get a piece of actual period aircraft skin & match that. No hobby paint company has got it right since the 1970's. My old tin of Humbrol 78 (bought 1967) was the correct RAF interior green. Tin bought last year was a dark green - not at all suitable.
This company are often recommended as having the most accurate colours due to the research they put into their products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back