colour green?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
hi guy's

what colour green is in the cockpits of British ww2 fighters, also what colour are the wheel stanchion's ( think that's what you call them ):oops:

terry will explain it best I think....but in the mean time this may help...it is a light/pale green colour....

sourced from the internet.

Attachments

• spitseat1.jpg
    spitseat1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 836
  • 800px-Spitfire_cockpit.jpg
    800px-Spitfire_cockpit.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,095
Wayne's got it! The second shot, looking down and in to the Spit cockpit, is more accurtate, as the first one has been affected by the flash. To get this colour, which you can get as a ready-mixed paint from some companies, mix Humbrol matt Dark Green 30 with white, and add a smll spot of yellow, or blue. Sounds strange, but they both work, as the shade could vary from aircraft or paint batch, sometimes looking more like a light greenish grey.
By the wheel stanchions, if you mean the undercarriage (landing gear) legs, it depends on the aircraft. On the Spitfire, depending on Mark number and date, they were generally the colour of the underside camouflage, but later they were a silver-grey colour, in both cases with chrome Oleos. The latter is the telescopic 'shock absorber' part of the leg, normally, on most aircraft, at the bottom.
On your Beaufighter, the undercart legs were mid-grey.

thank Terry
it's for the spit mk vb i wanted to know as i have just ordered a 10ml tamiya cockpit green and also set of revell paints in numbers- 4,5,7,8,9,12,31,56,57,90,99 for £7.92 plus another tin ofnumber 59 all in all total price for paints £ 13.02p

Ah, OK. Hadn't realised you were using acrylics. I believe the Tamiya Cockpit Green is the right shade. If not, it should be easy to mix with other colours to obtain the colour in Wayne's pics. I'm not totally familiar with the Revell paint numbers without checking the paint reference guides, but that looks like a very good price for so many paints.

ok Terry

these are the revell colours that are £ 7.92 as a complete set

4, white gloss

5, white matt

7, black gloss

8, black matt

9, anthricite grey matt

12, yellow gloss

31, fiery red

56, blue matt

57, grey matt

90, silver metallic

99, aluminum

the tamiya cost £1.30 aprox

and the other revell paint cost 97p

The grey/green used on British aircraft is Humbrol 78, Vallejo Model Air 71010, Life Color UA6, Xtracolor X10. I cannot find it listed in the Tamiya range. The only 'Cockpit Green' listed, XF71, is an IJN (Japanese) colour.

You can mix it from Tamiya colours as follows.

XF65 Field Grey 20%
XF21 Sky 70?%
XF5 Flat Green 10%

Thanks antoni

the paints i use are Revell acrylics as i find them good paints.( that is my personal oppinion )
never used Tamiya before until i get the XF71 with the other paints i have orded

On the online Paint Chart (stickied in this section) Hu78 is a match for Tamiya XF-22 RLM Grey. I have both and they're fairly close to each other.

RLM Grey? If that's the 'proper' RLM02 grey, then that and British cockpit green are nowhere near each other in colour. Which means that either Humbrol 78 isn't the right colour, or Tamiya's RLM grey is a different colour to RLM02 Grey!!

Terry, the Humbrol 78 is the RAF interior green FS34226. Other paints are Gunze H70, Pactra A117, Xtracolor X10, Lifecolor UA060. Revell 360 but it is slightly too dark and grey than the cockpit green, Airfix M20, Model Master B-1716 (acrylic 4850 )/Model Master II 2062

Another source says that the mixture can be 6*Hu:78 + 3*Hu:34 + 1*Hu:72 ( 78 ).

The XF22 paint is called grey because it is RLM02 that was Green-grey rather.But in a few books it is translated as grey (grau). Its Humbrol equivalent can be H31 Slate Grey.

Attachments

• RAF cockpit green.png
    RAF cockpit green.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Thanks, Keith and Wojtek for the explanation. I'm not familiar with the Tamiya paint numbers/colours, hence the reason I thought the Tamiya paint was supposed to be RLM02. The latter being more green than grey is similar to Extra Dark Sea Grey being VERY green, albeut dark, with maybe a hint of grey!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back