1st post - Modeler from another era getting back into the hobby.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

redrako

Recruit
May 28, 2016
Hi all,

New modeler, or old modeler picking up the hobby once again.

I built some 1/32 Revell aircraft models in the 1970's as well as some ship and armor models. Tired of wasting time looking at meaningless stuff on the internet, I've decided that I'm going to get back to something that I really enjoy.

Times of changed in these few decades my experience revolved around Pactra enameled paints, a Badger airbrush powered by an adapter to a auto tire (I lived next door to a gas station so propellant was free) and two very good,comprehensive hobby shops that were stocked with everything I could need and some beyond my imagination.

Today, sadly there are no model shops anywhere near me in the Boston area - and like many things the hobby largely seems to have moved online. I'm okay with that, but don't particularly waiting days after I buy something.

I have just started a Hasegawa F4U Corsair, 1/48 scale and look forward to reading threads in this community, picking your brains to tips and tricks and over time contributing back as my knowledge allows.

Welcome from Canada. I have a 4 hour round trip to the nearest hobby store that doesn't stock much so it's on line for me. Feel free to post your Corsair in a thread in the Start to Finish section. Looking forward to your work.

Geo

Welcome and that seems to be the case.When I was in San Antonio not long ago they had three shops but events kept me away.

Welcome aboard. Your story is similar to many modelers here so you'll fit right in. Join a group build if you like - great way to learn and pick up tips.

Welcome to the asylum.There are a lot of modelers here. I like to build in plastic and paper. Good hobby shops are a vanishing breed with the online shops dominating the market.

Hi all,

New modeler, or old modeler picking up the hobby once again.

I built some 1/32 Revell aircraft models in the 1970's as well as some ship and armor models. Tired of wasting time looking at meaningless stuff on the internet, I've decided that I'm going to get back to something that I really enjoy.

Times of changed in these few decades my experience revolved around Pactra enameled paints, a Badger airbrush powered by an adapter to a auto tire (I lived next door to a gas station so propellant was free) and two very good,comprehensive hobby shops that were stocked with everything I could need and some beyond my imagination.

Today, sadly there are no model shops anywhere near me in the Boston area - and like many things the hobby largely seems to have moved online. I'm okay with that, but don't particularly waiting days after I buy something.

I have just started a Hasegawa F4U Corsair, 1/48 scale and look forward to reading threads in this community, picking your brains to tips and tricks and over time contributing back as my knowledge allows.

Not that it matters now, but on my first trip to Boston eons ago, the wife and I stayed at the Parker House downtown, and there was a great little hobby shop within walking distance. What I miss most as an "older modeler" is the mom-and pop hobby ships… where service was supreme!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back