30mm "mine" shell (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ralphwiggum

Airman
Mar 15, 2008
I think i asked about this type of ammo a while back but, I'm not sure
I know that it was was used by the FW 190 "Sturmbocks" and that 3 rounds were enough to bring down a heavy bomber That seems too hard for me to believe Can anyone give me more detailed info on this ammo it's effectiveness?:BIG:

Hi Ralph,

>I know that it was was used by the FW 190 "Sturmbocks" and that 3 rounds were enough to bring down a heavy bomber That seems too hard for me to believe

Priller's "J.G. 26" mentions that there was one case in which the MK 108 jammed after firing a single shot only, and the targeted bomber blew up anyway.

However, that was a very lucky hit. The figures from a German report indicate that you get a 50% kill chance against a heavy bomber from the following number of hits:

MG 151/20 (20 mm): 18 hits
MK 103/108 (30 mm): 4 hits
MK 412 (55 mm): 1 hit
MK 214 (50 mm): 1 hit

For a 95% kill chance, the follwing numbers are required:

MG 151/20 (20 mm): 25 hits
MK 103/108 (30 mm): 7.5 hits
MK 412 (55 mm): 2.8 hits
MK 214 (50 mm): 2.9 hits

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

I thought I wrote this question before! Thanks everybody for your kind help and fascinating info!!
Ralph Wiggum

Hi Martti,

>Can you specify your source?

Here is the page of the report with the table ... unfortunately, I don't have any more of this report.

Variations of the same comparison show up in different reports and in various books, but this one is the only one I've seen that shows the difference between 95 % and 50 % probability of kill, so I presume it's the most detailed variant and perhaps the source for the others.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• Vortrag_MK108_2.jpg
    Vortrag_MK108_2.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 153
I forgot I had these documents, they where provided to me by genkideskan a year or two back. Many thanks. Maybe some of you will enjoy them also.

Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• Mk 101-Mk 103.pdf
    23.5 MB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Back